Apple triggers 'religious' reaction in fans' brains

Discussions and related news items
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Apple triggers 'religious' reaction in fans' brains

Post by aiseiri47 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:34 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming ... index.html
The neuroscientists ran a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test on an Apple fanatic and discovered that images of the technology company's gadgets lit up the same parts of the brain as images of a deity do for religious people, the report says.
I personally think this is a point against religion; so many people devote themselves to religion because of their "love" for God and "his presence" in their life; but they're being affected by a chemical reaction in their brain, a chemical reaction shared by devotees to a brand of technological products.

I mean, (assuming God exists) should it really be possible for a brain chemistry to react the same way to computers and iPods as it does to worship of God?
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Apple triggers 'religious' reaction in fans' brains

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 am

aiseiri47 wrote:http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming ... index.html
The neuroscientists ran a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test on an Apple fanatic and discovered that images of the technology company's gadgets lit up the same parts of the brain as images of a deity do for religious people, the report says.
I personally think this is a point against religion; so many people devote themselves to religion because of their "love" for God and "his presence" in their life; but they're being affected by a chemical reaction in their brain, a chemical reaction shared by devotees to a brand of technological products.

I mean, (assuming God exists) should it really be possible for a brain chemistry to react the same way to computers and iPods as it does to worship of God?
And sports fans!
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

aiseiri47 wrote:I personally think this is a point against religion; so many people devote themselves to religion because of their "love" for God and "his presence" in their life; but they're being affected by a chemical reaction in their brain, a chemical reaction shared by devotees to a brand of technological products.

I agree with you on this - nice post!
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Sat May 21, 2011 10:05 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:I mean, (assuming God exists) should it really be possible for a brain chemistry to react the same way to computers and iPods as it does to worship of God?
Hence, we must logically conclude that Apple is God.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Looking forward to the release of iGod Touch :wink:
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 am

I recently bought a smart phone and was surprised to see how many religious apps you can get - the bible, the quran, prayers, quotes, HD wallpapers, scientology news, etc, etc.

My worry is that the combined use of these religious gadgets on an iPhone by religious, apple fanatics will cause some sort of overload and will actually melt the brain.