Kids Who Spot BS & Adults Who Get Upset About it

Discussions and related news items
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Kids Who Spot BS & Adults Who Get Upset About it

Post by aiseiri47 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 pm

I like this article because of the kids; I hate it because of the adults.
Brain Gym is a schools program [...] a series of elaborate physical movements with silly pseudoscientific justifications: you wiggle your head back and forth because that gets more blood into your frontal lobes for clearer thinking; you contort your fingers together to improve some unnamed “energy flow”; they’re keen on drinking water, because “processed foods” – I’m quoting the Brain Gym Teacher’s Manual – “do not contain water.” You pay hundreds of thousands of pounds for Brain Gym, and it’s still done in hundreds of state schools across the UK

This week I got an email from a science teacher about a 13 year old pupil. Both have to remain anonymous. This pupil wrote an article about Brain Gym for her school paper, explaining why it’s nonsense: the essay is respectful, straightforward, and factual. But the school decided they couldn’t print it, because it would offend teachers in the junior school who use Brain Gym.

Now, this is weakminded, and perhaps even vicious. More interesting, though, is how often children are able to spot bullshit, and how often adults want to shut them up...
Read more: http://www.badscience.net/2011/06/kids- ... -about-it/
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Kids Who Spot BS & Adults Who Get Upset About it

Post by chemicals » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:47 am

An interesting commment down the page
The problem is that the avid believers in homeopathy, earth rays and faith healing are often deeply convinced *they* are the child pointing out the emperor’s new clothes and the scientific establishment is trying to hush them because of idelogy.

The fable is not really very useful as a role model because everyone things the things they believe in are obvious and clearly visible, otherwise they would not believe those things.
والقس هو مجنون
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Kids Who Spot BS & Adults Who Get Upset About it

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:55 am

Have any schools in Ireland fallen for this scam?