Chiropractor in local school

Discussions and related news items
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Chiropractor in local school

Post by ctr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:10 am

My 10 year old came home from school the other day with a page of exercises that a visiting chiropractor gave her. It seems the lady was allowed into the school and did exercises with the kids on posture etc.

Now I have looked at the sheet and to be honest is fairly innocent stuff.

I'm guessing the School and the chiropractor both mean well.

So my question to this forum is am I right to be angry that the school promoted a pseudo-science to impressionable children?
I spend a lot of my time trying to set the kids up with the skills needed to fight the mumbo jumbo that this world has to offer and I feel it was undermined by the schools actions.

I want to go in to the school and, politely, explain my concerns and suggest they use mainstream medical practitioners (physiotherapist in this case) and not some new age unsubstantiated pseudo-science.

My wife thinks I'm overreacting and only using this a stepping stone to my real mission...(you can guess what is meant here)

What do you think? Am I right to be angry? Am I overreacting?
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Re: Chiropractor in local school

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 am

ctr wrote:...What do you think? Am I right to be angry? Am I overreacting?
It's a difficult one. Part of the issue is the lack of awareness that most people have about chiropractic. Somehow it has managed to avoid labelling itself explicitly as CAM, so the general public don't realise the amount of pseudo-scientific nonsense underpinning the practice. There are lots of anecdotes going around about how it can cure your bad back, however chiropractors routinely push more outlandish treatments.

I live in the UK, where the NHS is happy to recommend the use of chiropractic for lower back pain, which unfortunately lends unwarranted respectability to the practice (the NHS also funds homeopathy, so they don't have the best track record here!). However they are very clear that most of the treatments offered by chiropractors have no evidence base. The NHS website says:
There is good evidence that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment for persistent lower back pain. Conventional treatments for lower back pain include painkillers, exercise and physiotherapy.

There is no good evidence that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment for any other health condition. This means that the evidence on spinal manipulation is not strong enough in these cases to form the basis of a recommendation to use the treatment.

There is also no scientific evidence to support the idea that most illness is caused by misalignment of the spine.
In response to those who may feel you're overreacting in your scepticism towards chiropractic, I like to challenge the notion of "where's the harm?". Simon Singh notes:
... the hallmark technique of the chiropractor, known as high-velocity, low-amplitude thrust, carries ...significant risks. This involves pushing joints beyond their natural range of motion by applying a short, sharp force. Although this is a safe procedure for most patients, others can suffer dislocations and fractures.

Worse still, manipulation of the neck can damage the vertebral arteries, which supply blood to the brain. So-called vertebral dissection can ultimately cut off the blood supply, which in turn can lead to a stroke and even death. Because there is usually a delay between the vertebral dissection and the blockage of blood to the brain, the link between chiropractic and strokes went unnoticed for many years. Recently, however, it has been possible to identify cases where spinal manipulation has certainly been the cause of vertebral dissection.
Ultimately, conventional approaches such as physiotherapy may struggle to treat back problems with any consistency, but are still preferable because of the serious dangers associated with chiropractic.
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:15 am

I don't think you over react at all. The children should be taught that this is NOT a main stream medical treatment. They should be taught that the the proven study of this is physio.

Would the school allow chinese alternative medicine, faith healers or witch doctor into the school.

They probaly didn't think of this and someone needs to point that out. A friendly letter might do the trick.

If nobody says anything nothing changes for sure, an old dutch saying is: You already have no but you might get a yes (when you ask) ......sounds much better in dutch
Last edited by Tulip1 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Chiropractors are against vaccinations though.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 38,00.html
point out woo when ever you see it.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:19 pm

I don't think you're overreacting at all; frankly, I think I'd be less concerned if a homoeopath or acupuncturist showed up. A homoeopath is dangerous because they prevent you getting real treatment, but they're probably not going to poison you. A chiropractor might prevent you from getting real treatment, but in addition, they might also do more damage with their own "treatment".

(My family were driving past a chiropractor's office once, and it had a small set of stairs as well as a ramp up to the door. My, at the time, 7-year-old sister commented, to everyone's vast amusement, "The ramp is for patients on the way out.")

Furthermore, back care is extremely important and should not be taken lightly; one bad turn can cause you pain and inconvenience for the rest of your life.

To be honest, if the school wanted to teach children how to take care of their backs, even a qualified manual handling instructor would be better.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with contacting the school and stating that you aren't comfortable with them inviting professionals (I use the term loosely) from controversial fields of unsubstantiated "medicine".
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:54 pm

aiseiri47 wrote: (My family were driving past a chiropractor's office once, and it had a small set of stairs as well as a ramp up to the door. My, at the time, 7-year-old sister commented, to everyone's vast amusement, "The ramp is for patients on the way out.")
Classic :)
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 am

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

I decided it would not let me sleep (on nights this week) so I decided to have a word with the principal. I dropped my kid to school and waited to meet her.

I explained my issues

a) Chiropractic is pseudo-science and not supported by the mainstream establishment.
b) It put me in a position of contradicting the school as I am trying to educate my kids to be watchful of alt-med and pseudo-science ( I mentioned Physic Sally as an example)
c) by the school having a Chiropractor in it gave a veneer of respectability.

To be fair to the Principal agreed with me as she is also very sceptical of alt-med and , just as Dr Raskolnikov predicted, she just never realised that Chiropractic fell into the category.

I suggested a Physio was more suited and she agreed.

So all in all a good mornings work and I subsequently had a goods days sleep :)
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 am

Good to hear!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Go "Woo Fighters!"
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Dr Raskolnikov

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm so pleased there was a positive outcome here. It just goes to show that we can make a difference just chipping away incrementally at the acceptability of superstition and woo.
Last edited by Dr Raskolnikov on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.