Giants causeway -creationist views promoted

Discussions and related news items
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Giants causeway -creationist views promoted

Post by paolovf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:32 pm

ouch, I didn't realise the Facebook 'I Support Inclusion of Creationist View at Causeway Centre' page has more supporters than the 'Remove Creationist Display From Giants Causeway Visitor Centre' page (4,685 vs 3,798 to the Creationists)!
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

chemicals wrote:
Recently, one of our associates sat down with a highly respected world-class Hebrew scholar and asked him this question: “If you started with the Bible alone, without considering any outside influences whatsoever, could you ever come up with millions or billions of years of history for the Earth and universe?” The answer from this scholar? “Absolutely not!”

Let’s be honest. Take out your Bible and look through it. You can’t find any hint at all for millions or billions of years.'
As many times as I read this it's just going over my head - to me it reads as though it accepts the bible doesn't have the answers. Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, I've read through that support page a few times and it's shocking to me some of the comments I'm reading. I knew people were religious in this country but Creationism, give me a break. Some of the stuff they are saying is insane.
Nimeniton

Post by Nimeniton » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 am

paolovf wrote:
chemicals wrote:
Recently, one of our associates sat down with a highly respected world-class Hebrew scholar and asked him this question: “If you started with the Bible alone, without considering any outside influences whatsoever, could you ever come up with millions or billions of years of history for the Earth and universe?” The answer from this scholar? “Absolutely not!”

Let’s be honest. Take out your Bible and look through it. You can’t find any hint at all for millions or billions of years.'
As many times as I read this it's just going over my head - to me it reads as though it accepts the bible doesn't have the answers. Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, I've read through that support page a few times and it's shocking to me some of the comments I'm reading. I knew people were religious in this country but Creationism, give me a break. Some of the stuff they are saying is insane.
You have to imagine a red neck from the Southern States drawling it. He has found an expert on Bible interpretation and this proves that there is not a shred of evidence that the scientific view that the earth is billions of years old is correct. His higher authority is the bible. However,I agree, it reads just as well from the mouth of an atheist. It just depends on your priority of authority.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:05 am

Nimeniton wrote: You have to imagine a red neck from the Southern States drawling it. He has found an expert on Bible interpretation and this proves that there is not a shred of evidence that the scientific view that the earth is billions of years old is correct. His higher authority is the bible. However,I agree, it reads just as well from the mouth of an atheist. It just depends on your priority of authority.
Sadly it was an Irish man, James Ussher born in Dublin in 1580 who wasted his whole life, ''studying'' the bible, who gave birth to the creationist date of Saturday, October 22, 4004 B.C. @ 6pm ''The World & Time began''
He was taught the bible from a young age by his two blind aunts -the blind leading the blind.

Brief history, became a priest, gave sermons in Christ church cathedral Dublin, appointed archbishop of Armagh, and his mother converted to catholicism
chemicals wrote:

In fairness to Ussher, he delved into measuring time, the Jewish regal years (Kings reign), the greek Olympiads (4yr Olymptic games) and Roman history in years, taking into account not everyone meassured the year as 365 days, Arab countries used luner years 354 days and the begining of the year for Greeks was Summer, for Egyptians the Sun entering Aries etc etc.

Imagine what he could of done, if only someone had bought him a chemistry-set instead of a bible.

Ref excellent book: Measuring Eternity -the search for the beginning of time: Martin Gorst
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 am

Nimeniton wrote: He has found an expert on Bible interpretation and this proves that there is not a shred of evidence that the scientific view that the earth is billions of years old is correct. His higher authority is the bible. However,I agree, it reads just as well from the mouth of an atheist. It just depends on your priority of authority.
Oh. :roll:

Thanks for helping me out on that, I guess I was too close-minded to understand and empathise with our bible-loving friends.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

BBC Radio interview with Richard Dawkins on the matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvPyHXvQXrc

I was glad to hear that radio phone-in, I haven't heard Dawkins put these people in their place in a while but my gosh, didn't a few of them become very un-christian about it all.

It seems that very few (if any) of these Creationists really understand how the scientific community operates. They don't seem to understand that 'respectable scientists' are those who publish peer-reviewed journal papers and articles. Any upstanding citizen can read a science book, or refer to a publication and claim to be a scientist, but that does not qualify as a 'respectable scientist'. I'd suggest educating these people otherwise to stamp out this ignorance but would they listen...