artificial life form using man made chromosome

Discussions and related news items
Max

Post by Max » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:56 pm

An interesting development. Not directly related to the topic but still of some relevance.
I didn't get the full details but, as I was about to go to bed early this morning I was catching up with the news on bbc 24. They had a report of a scientist who claims to have a manufactured an artificial life form using man made chromosome. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/ ... matechange

Could further developments provide the necessary culture shock to change opinions. Or I suppose it could cause even greater polarization.
born under the malignant influence of change
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 pm

The story Max links to above, is being discussed here at Richard Dawkins.net. There are a few ex Catholics posting.
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Neesik wrote:The story Max links to above, is being discussed here at Richard Dawkins.net. There are a few ex Catholics posting.

From the link above:-
Craig Venter, the controversial DNA researcher involved in the race to decipher the human genetic code, has built a synthetic chromosome out of laboratory chemicals and is poised to announce the creation of the first new artificial life form on Earth.
I laughed aloud when I read that ... is poised to announce the creation of the first new artificial life form on Earth ...
Whatever about other religions, the Catholic Church has been doing just that ever since its inception (or is that, conception?). You're never alone with a clone - know what I mean :wink:

Thanks for that link, Neesik - and Max. I'll get back to you guys when I've read it through.
Last edited by Martha on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Craig Venter, Geneticist wrote:]We are trying to create a new value system for life.
Sounds familiar, doesn't it? The purveyors of Organised Religion - and GM Foods ... and... let's see, who else? Oh yes, all those other Control Freaks who are totally devoid of any control over their own would-be-human destinies.

A new "value system"? One where it is just that bit easier to control other people - Life itself? Now, who would want to be that controlling? Nobody. Nobody, except insane control freaks like Craig Venter! :twisted:

Woody Allen
Max

Post by Max » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:47 pm

I think the the difference is that he claims to have synthesized the chromosome from amino acid bases. That is a much more radical event than the splicing of existing chromosomes/cloning.
Last edited by Max on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:16 am

Max wrote:I think the the difference is that he claims to have synthesized the chromosome from amino acid bases. Thats is much more radical event than the splicing existing chromosomes/cloning.
He can splice and dice all he likes in his lab, but like all the other control freaks before and after him, he can't control Life. Sure, he can try to manipulate Nature to suit his own pathological needy-greed/greedy-need, and maybe even destroy some of it in the process - but the Craig Venters of this world can never control Nature, much as they would like to!

See, that's what Organised Religion is all about: trying to control Nature - Life itself. On the surface they appear to be doing just that. But, nobody is "God". Nobody lives in a vacuum - though many people exist in a vacuum, because of their warped (religious) childhood conditioning. I bet if you checked-out Craig Venter's childhood, it would be reveal his religious-ideological childhood indoctrination/conditioning. Ergo his need to "create new life forms".

Existing is light years away from living.

Woody Allen
Max

Post by Max » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:34 am

I'm just thinking about his claims. I have no idea if his science is sound, or his ethics. but if his claims are correct (his personal ambitions aside) they undermine any ideas of religion.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:00 am

Max wrote:I'm just thinking about his claims. I have no idea if his science is sound, or his ethics. but if his claims are correct (his personal ambitions aside) they undermine any ideas of religion.
What exactly are his claims? That he can create new life, or something like that? Isn't that what religion does? Claim to create "new life" - as if Life itself needed fixing? No it doesn't. Life is life - it lives and breathes and lives, like a river flows naturally. This "Jim-Will-Fix-It" mentality stems from the "Christian" religious notion that we humans are born "evil" - as in the myth of "Original Sin". In other words, if you start of thinking (believing) that everyone else (sic) - not least your own offspring are evil bastards, then you're so fucking insane, you may as well lie down and die!

Woody Allen
Max

Post by Max » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:22 am

I find it hard to belive that you dont unerstand his claims. As to his science thats a different mater.

Marther are you toying with me :wink:
Last edited by Max on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:28 am

Max wrote:I find it hard to belive that you dont unerstand his claims. As to his scienc thats a different mater.

Marther are you toying with me :wink:
Max, I understand his (Craig Venter) claims all too well. I was, after all, born to parents who were unfortunately hypnotised by Roman Catholicism, but I'm happy to say I managed to recover from their dis-ease. That recovery was due to my father coming to his senses (regaining his sanity) long before he died. Sadly, my mother was not so fortunate.

PS: Check your PM (Personal Message) box..

Woody Allen