Sam Harris - The End of Faith

Tell us about what you've been reading or watching
artyfarty

Post by artyfarty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:14 pm

Reading "The End of Faith" is on my ToDo list after my exams in May but for any of you who've not decided to purchase the book here is a sample of the first chapter to entice you to spend some cash

Click Here
A little boy prayed for a bike. Then he realised God doesn't work that way so he stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Carl Sagan - The Pale Blue Dot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:49 am

I am reading Sam Harris "the end of faith" right now (from the library, I got them to order it) I'm on chapter 4, page 147.
Man! if you like horror stories; you will love this.
The things that have been done in the name of religion..............Just read it.
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Sam Harris - The End of Faith

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:18 pm

seamus wrote:I just ordered "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris
Anyone read this yet? What do you think?

Check out this video of a talk he gave

http://www.irishatheist.com/ia/cgi/pm.c ... &app_id=42

:)
I bought the audio-book for my ipod. I thought it was brilliant. There is some seriously cutting arguments both against the truth value of religion and 'virtue' of faith. It is a very short book though. The audio goes for 2 hours. Compare that to the god delusion which goes for about 13 hours.
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 pm

bipedalhumanoid
I bought the audio-book for my ipod. I thought it was brilliant. There is some seriously cutting arguments both against the truth value of religion and 'virtue' of faith. It is a very short book though. The audio goes for 2 hours. Compare that to the god delusion which goes for about 13 hours.
I think you might be getting the two books mixed up, "The end of faith" is 256 pages.

"Letter to a christian nation" is short at just 90 pages.
Seamus, they are both excellent books, enjoy your long weekend.Image
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Neesik wrote:I am reading Sam Harris "the end of faith" right now (from the library, I got them to order it) I'm on chapter 4, page 147.
Man! if you like horror stories; you will love this.
The things that have been done in the name of religion..............Just read it.
Seriously though, do any of us have to read a book to know what barbaric things were done, and will continue to be done in the name of religion :roll: I know I don't!
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 pm

Martha wrote: Seriously though, do any of us have to read a book to know what barbaric things were done, and will continue to be done in the name of religion :roll: I know I don't!
Let's all quit reading :roll:
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Neesik wrote:bipedalhumanoid
I think you might be getting the two books mixed up, "The end of faith" is 256 pages.

"Letter to a christian nation" is short at just 90 pages.
Seamus, they are both excellent books, enjoy your long weekend.Image
Ah right you are. Tis letter to a christian nation I have.
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 am

brianmmulligan wrote:There is an article critical of Sam Harris here:
http://alternet.org/story/46196/
Sam Harris himself sent the link in his newsletter. The article suggests that he is in favour of torture, but I have been able to figure out that he is just in favour of it when the benefits clearly make it worthwhile (I know some of you may disagree with this, but it is still different to outright support of torture - my own mind is not made up on this issue).
The article also suggests that he also gives some credence to some paranormal phenomenon such as ESP and reincarnation. I have not got around to reading any of his books, so if someone has, you might make a comment on that. I did feel that the writer (John Gorenfeld) last some credibility by his misinterpretation (misrepresentation?) of harris's views on torture, but I would like to hear how anyone could suggest that there was anything to reincarnation.

Brian.
There might be something to reincarnation. I'm so lucky I must have been the cancerous left testicle of a lepers dog in my last life!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Just finished reading this one - I preferred the letter to a christian nation though - shorter.
I don't believe that he confronted those east europeans with the girl. I think he was biggin himself up. His chapter on the mind opened up a lot of questions. Going to read some steven pinker for better analysis.