Research Survey on Religious beliefs/Atheism and attitudes

General discussions

Research Survey on Religious beliefs/Atheism and attitudes

Postby Oscail_student » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am

Dear members of Atheist Ireland forum,

My name is Joleen Kuyper and I am undertaking a research project as part of my undergraduate sociology degree. The aim of this survey is to collect data on religious beliefs and attitudes to equality which will be analysed for my thesis.

Your participation is entirely voluntary and you can withdraw from the survey at any point before you submit your answers. Once you have submitted your answers it is unfortunately no longer possible to withdraw as your answers are submitted anonymously. You will not be asked for any personally identifiable information. You must be over 18 and resident in Ireland to participate.

Participating in the survey will take between 5-15 minutes of your time depending on how much detail you choose to provide.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at joleen.kuyper2@mail.dcu.ie
Your participation is appreciated, thank you
Best wishes,
Joleen Kuyper.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CQ8S7CB
Oscail_student
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Research Survey on Religious beliefs/Atheism and attitudes

Postby chemicals » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 am

If participation in this study has raised any issues for you or made you feel unhappy in any way and you would like to talk to someone about this, there is a number for a confidential helpline below.

The Samaritans: 1850 60 90 90

:lol:
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 am

I was just about to post the same thing, that gave me a smile too :)
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Oscail_student » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 pm

officially, in spite of the name, they're non-religious.

believe me I did search for a secular helpline but to no avail :wink:
Oscail_student
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Oscail_student » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks very much for doing it, by the way!
Oscail_student
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby paolovf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Survey complete!

Joleen, will you provide us with some of your findings when you've finished the survey??
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Beebub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 pm

paolovf wrote:Survey complete!

Joleen, will you provide us with some of your findings when you've finished the survey??

+1
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Oscail_student » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Yep I would be happy to! If you send an email to joleen.kuyper2@mail.dcu.ie then I'll have your email address, then I will pass on whatever info I can when I have the thesis marked (That'll be July or so).

Thanks for completing the survey :D
Oscail_student
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Oscail_student » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't think the university ethics committee would want me to share findings before then.
Last edited by Oscail_student on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscail_student
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby bipedalhumanoid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:04 pm

"Homosexual couples should have the right to adopt children". This is a flawed statement. Nobody has the right to adopt children. Adopters are chosen with consideration given only to the rights of the child. I answered this question as if it were worded in such a way as to suggest homosexual people should be allowed to apply to adopt children in the same way that heterosexual people can. That is a statement I strongly agree with.

You also used the term "confirmed atheist". I don't know what that means. It seems to be a derisive/ironic term likening atheism to religiocity. Not sure why a term like that would exist in a survey.

You assume that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive. They are not. Atheism is about belief. Agnosticism is about knowledge. I can accept that we can't know 100% whether a god exists, making me an agnostic, and also not believe that a god exists due to the lack of convincing evidence, making me an atheist.

Regarding the Samaritans, I agree totally.
Samaritans is a 100% secular organisation with no affiliation with any religious organisation or any kind of religious ethos. The name of the organisation is something originally attributed to them by a British newspaper and the name stuck.

But why would you think anyone would need to utilise the services of a counselling helpline as a result of completing that survey?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
bipedalhumanoid

Next

Return to Atheism, Philosophy and Religion