Going to Mass

General discussions
james7300

Going to Mass

Post by james7300 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:33 pm

I presume even the most hardened atheists among you have from time to time, set foot back in a church.

What do you think when you go there? I personally look around and think do all these people actually still believe all this bs. It's also the elaborate ceremony which grates with me most of all. And the obsession with death.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Going to Mass

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I never grew up in a religion and I did not ever set foot in a church while a service was on. Other then that I have been in a few churches just for historical reasons.

But I always have thought: do people really believe this?
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I day dream and people watch. What I find annoying is that I still know all the responses to all the chants.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 pm

i still bless myself when funerals pass :shock:
والقس هو مجنون
james7300

Post by james7300 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Blessing myself is a real bugbear with me. A silly secret sign that only true believers are supposed to know.
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Funerals are quick enough and I try not to piss people off but for weddings I play smartphone games :)
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:37 am

chemicals wrote:i still bless myself when funerals pass :shock:
Sounds like one for the old lapsed atheist confessional thread!

I'm very careful with saying "Godbless!" at the end of phone calls to my parents. They always sign off with that phrase and I try to remember not to respond in kind. They don't know I'm not a religioid any more, but I like to leave breadcrumbs nonetheless!
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Puck

Post by Puck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 am

I love looking around the building, studying the layout, the images, statues, the clothing of the priest, etc trying to understand how does it all tie together to improve ones connection to their god.

After the baptism/wedding/funeral, I usually ask one of the believers about their building (eg How old is the church?, Who is that statue over there?, What does that particular stain glass pattern on the window represent?).

I normally just get a shrug on the shoulders and "I don't know". For something they hold so sacred, they never appear to be that interested in it.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:38 pm

I've been to mass for a few occasions - funerals, weddings, a confirmation (most of my relatives just invite me to the at-home event for communions and confirmations - but as they say, there's always one), etc;

They make me feel uncomfortable to an extent - I don't kneel or recite prayers, and when everyone around you is partaking in some kind of weird ritual worship you can't help feel like an odd one out even when you know they're the crazy ones. I do stand, just because I feel like not standing when others are doing so is a little rude and I don't particularly want to look like a spoiled child protesting having to go to mass. And of course the fact that I do stand irritates me. I tend to roll my eyes and sigh quietly during the readings and homilies.

On a related note, I recently attended an ante-natal class that was held in the town's parish centre. (Luckily there was nothing religious about it, it's just a handy spot for hosting classes). I couldn't help but notice that the building, which is only a few years old, is spectacularly beautiful. The structure, workmanship, finishing, etc was very fine indeed, and of course it annoyed the hell out of me because it was further proof that the church would rather spend their money on fine decor than on helping those in need. Whatever anyone wants to say, it's not just the Vatican.
NorthOfTheBorder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by NorthOfTheBorder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I personally look around and think do all these people actually still believe all this bs
Yep, that's my main reaction too. I seem to split my time between wondering how can anybody take all this crap seriously and internally fuming at the patronising tone of the priest delivering unsubstantiated shite from the pulpit with the expectation that everyone agrees. To be honest, spending time in the presence of people who have suspended their critical faculties so drastically actually makes me feel very uncomfortable :(
“I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong”

Richard Feynman on doubt,uncertainty and religion