Atheist politicians?

General discussions
bockedy

Atheist politicians?

Post by bockedy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 am

It just struck me that I can't think of any openly atheist Irish politicians.

We are becoming a more secular society, with fewer people espousing a belief in a personal god or an afterlife, less going to mass etc. But are there any elected politicians in Ireland who profess their atheism openly and still get enough votes for office?
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
UDS

Re: Atheist politicians?

Post by UDS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:55 am

Jim Kemmy, if I recall correctly, was an avowed atheist, but that was a few years back. According to Wikipedia, Proinsias de Rossa and Joe Higgins are atheists.

I may be wrong, but I think a lot of Irish people who are atheists in the sense of having no religious belief would identify as "no religion" or "not religious", rather than as "atheist", which might (for them) have affirmative, declaratory, campaigning overtones - e.g., affirmatively asserting that "there is no god", rather than simply "I have no belief in any god". And a politicial has an added incentive to take a low-key approach to describing their beliefs; "not religious" is likely to cost you fewer votes than "atheist".
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 am

maybe it more interesting to find out who's pro secularism, one can hopefully most of the labour party, and 1/3 or the fg and ff?
test
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Ruairi Quinn of Labour is -- I think -- both pro-secular and an atheist (though I'm not certain of the latter).

Ciaran Gannnon who was leader of the PDs came out as an agnostic at one stage.