Did you ever believe in God?

General discussions
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Did you ever believe in God?

Post by Dev » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:19 am

Alexis wrote:
Dev wrote:I have never believed [in God].
Never believed? What, never believed in anything? Like Life? Love?
Alexis wrote: I know, its just a three-letter word, but the word "God" to me, if it means anything at all, means LOVE - i.e., the evolution of Humanity.
I'm new and don't want to come across as the slightest bit sharp but I have to take exception to this quoted lines as the word "God" generally has an accepted definition which would involve some reference to a supernatural/divine being. The words "love" and "god" are mutually exclusive and you can't replace one from other, certainly not grammatically and not logically either.

"i.e." is latin and read as "that is", so reading your sentence means - "LOVE - that is, evolution" doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

While I'm quite happy for you to interpret "God" anyway you please, you can hardly expect others know what "God" means to you, surely we all have to go by the same dictionary.

Is this really what you meant?
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 am

Yep, have to join Dev in taking exception to Alexis. In fairness maybe I'm misunderstanding you because to me you're don't really make much sense.
Beebub, you (like SO many Irish people, and Catholics the world over) make the mistake of thinking that being an adherent to organised religion is the same as believing in God.
Ok, when did I say anything of the sort? If you read my post I think you'll find I said nothing like that. I said that when I was a kid I went along with what others were doing because I didn't understand. If that's what you mean by 'being an adherent to organised religion' then I'm happy to say that's what I was as a child. But if you read the rest of my post you'll see I also said that at the time I don't think I believed in god. I thought about football & TV when others seemed to be praying so at no point, not even as a child did I think that 'being an adherent to organised religion is the same as believing in God' because I have never believed in god.
So, what exactly are you talking about, Beebub :?
And where's this sudden animosity coming from? All I said was that I never believed in god.

And if god,
means LOVE - i.e., the evolution of Humanity.
apart from the fact that, as Dev rightly points out, this really makes little sense, are you saying therefore that because you think god means the above, that you beleive in god? If so, what in blue blazes are you doing on an Atheists forum?

You see where the confusion arises Alexis? If you could properly explain what you mean maybe people will be able to understand you.
Last edited by Beebub on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:23 am

I don't know what the stats are for the site but we have people here of various ages. I'm 32 and figured out the vacuous nature of religious belief at about age 14. Prior to that I had long suspected that god was santa for adults but the main reason for the demise of my religious belief was learning about science. I was (and still am) very curious about how the world and universe operates and found the answers to such questions coming from religion very unsatisfying. It was because they were the types of answers that Dan Dennet refers to as sky hooks. Magical answers that don't actually explain anything. My science teachers gave me some cranes and I disposed of religion.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
a.thjeist

Post by a.thjeist » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:21 am

sure!

as a kid, I did what i was told and said my prayers and to all extents and purposes believed there was a fatherly figure in the sky who coud read my every thought!

even at puberty, I prayed that I'd get sent a girl!

God and heaven and all that was completely real to me, why not? all the adults said it was real, and I'd never really left the village, and was busy enough at other things to pay attention to that. Far more worldly things possessed my time and energy.

As a teen I recall the day when it seemed I became more logical, maybe it was a critical mass of education kicking in (I went to a CBS, btw, so thanks, lads in frocks, for setting me on the way to recovery! No shenanigans or purported ones in my school, I guess the rot was not universal.) Anyhow, I started looking at things objectively, not subjectively. I notice that when the crawthumpers tell atheists that they can't possibly know it all (as if that was a tenet of atheism - it's not - and not of theism - it is!!!) it's because they want to feel that way. Their justification is always wrapped up in a question like "How can you prove it?" [stop making me think] or "Haven't you read the Case for Christ" [stop asking me questions] etc etc. No actual reasoning themselves, they're just comfortable in the middle of the flock and use their faith as justification enough for its own existence.

anyway, meandering here. Basically, the whole thing started to slip away as a series of veils rather than a eureka moment. It boled down to relevance in my life. And then of course, looking at all the stuff I had never questioned in the past. Religion's fervour that holds it tight when people want to believe becomes an achilles heel to an atheist as you realise that it's all an illusion. Albeit an well organised one that accrues power and wealth to some. And you know, it's a soft job for many, no wonder they want to keep the thing going. And for others it's about getting emotional rewards from serving others (it's not all abuse) while they don't stop to think thatmaybe they cold help poor people without a reward in heaven etc

BTW, I have developed a theory on "faith as a possession" which I will start another thread on. It explains to me at least why people get angry at atheists for saying that there is no evidence to suggest that one should believe in a god.

very unstructured post. but there you go
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 am

im not sure whether i did or not, im not sure what belief is.

i think religion, faith and god is like an unspoken mutually agreed fib about the supernatural in order to be (religiously) cohesive
I don't think most priest beleive it either,they just think its a useful lie

its their version of 4 lights vs 5 lights ala picard in star trek

i think a moment for me came when i stopped believing that was ok

maybe thats the point at which you can try to explain why its not ok to teach children god is real,
maybe continue on this subject on this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2551&start=30

telling a lie about an all powerful god is really a very BIG LIE that can be potentially very destructive. there a sense its ratcheting up people for.. for what? we don't need it.
Last edited by lostexpectation on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
test
rationalthinker

Post by rationalthinker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Did I ever believe in a God? Pardon the pun, but Hell Yeah!

Not serious though, more just a passive belief. I declared my atheism in my early teens, but didn't have much reasoning to back up my assertion. Yet again, Dawkins deserves the recognition here. I listened to, and read what he had to say, and this was the permanent backup for my atheism. Although I only discovered this several years ago, maybe only 2-3.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
-George Bernard Shaw
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:58 am

I had a 999 God for awhile but in terms of religion, I used to disrupt the religion class even in primary school to the point where I had to wait outside for the duration ha quite proud of that now!
Watching Zeitgeist and reading The God Delusion was the decisive stage though. Here were all of my vague suspicions verified and shaped into solid argument.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:20 pm

anadub25 wrote:I had a 999 God ...
That's an excellent way of putting it, and probably a lot of people today have exactly this sort of god. They aren't particularly religious or even given to "spirituality", but in a crisis the old superstition of an overseeing intervener becomes strongly appealing.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:25 pm

No never, not even a wee bit. My parents made a fuss at school to keep me out of the religion lessons and send me to secondary schools without a faith (much easier in holland then Ireland)
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.