Count Me Out.ie

General discussions
Gadfly

Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by Gadfly » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 am

Yeh me! :D

I got two letters from my now former church confirming my defection from the RC faith. One was from the church secretary and the other was a copy from the PP that he sent to the bishop notifying him of my departure from his church.
Last edited by Gadfly on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Congratulations!
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 pm

You know sometimes I get the feeling that they are just patting us on the back in a patronising way saying “there - there little atheist now go away but your still a catholic”.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:29 pm

mkaobrih wrote:You know sometimes I get the feeling that they are just patting us on the back in a patronising way saying “there - there little atheist now go away but your still a catholic”.

exactly!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1110/primetime.html
watching the the dara o'brien clip, "theres no website you can use to download a form"... Well now there is..., classic! to see on irish tv, and i see cmo.ie has had a jump in numbers using the form.

the piece showing up the christian vec was the best part, really killed any hope (I had) in that system going even halfway to a fairer or secular system, that was important to show, it showed the model of the handover of the schools they're discussing now, there was also pieces on, tradition ceremonies, they mentioned oaths and the president, check, check, check, but frustrating not to get a proper response from the church or government in the same show.

not having a go at the cmo trio, watching the primetime piece and CMO description of the friendly conversation they had, the priest really said as little as possible. was dismissive of it, saying oh we got 10 last year and 65 this year...smirk.

I was thinking... if somebody hugs u for 10 seconds it nice, for 30 seconds friendly, if they wont let go even if you struggle, is that friendly or aggressive?

but also you saw tv presenter when asking a question say "not to forget the great work you've done with education", when we learned how the church dismantled our secular education system, im can't bare people even for a second suggesting the church is benign and benevolent.

i was hoping the recent use of these defection forms before and since cmo.ie would elicit a reaction from the church, and that then programs like rte primetime would use their position to get church bishops on to discuss this live on the media.

i mean cmo did get a response from the church pr rep, in a couple of papers. again HE didn't say much.
can anyone remember when last primetime did a piece on education it was bishop o'reilly they had on wasn't it. he is the top church rep on education at least, but i think that time i was complaining there was no rep for the government on... just rewatched it, fintan o'toole did nail him and nail the issues, but again no gov rep.

to be fair primetime have kept bringing this issue up, they still need to get bishop o'reilly and bat o'keefe in the one room to be questioned, perhaps the frontline format would work.
test
Gadfly

Post by Gadfly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:45 am

One comment that keeps cropping-up when I tell friends and family about me defecting is: "I didn't know you can do that". They are really surprised that it's possible.

On the subject of the Prime Time programme, I felt the guy from the VEC came across as a right stag altogether.
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm

This morning i met with Rev Fintan Gavin at the Archbishop's gaf.
It was a terribly polite affair really. Lots of talk about respecting my views etc. He said it was sad that i was leaving to which i replied from your perspective perhaps and did try to make me feel guilty about my family not being able to give me a Catholic burial but all in all he was pleasant enough about it.
Interestingly he asked whether CountMeOut were part of AI and would i have known about the possibility of defecting if not for them!
Apparently defecting was an impossibility up until the 1980s.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Well, just to clarify, Count Me Out are independent of Atheist Ireland, although we are completely supportive of what they have done.

And congratulations :)
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks Ygern!
I wonder if anyone tried to leave in the 80s and couldn't
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Before the Dublin report the number of people who had downloaded the forms on countmeout.ie was struggling to pass 1800.......now it's jumped to 4187! A simple practical idea put into action quickly and look what happens.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
JD12

Post by JD12 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I wonder is it possible to request that you be present as they write "defected" beside your name?