Images of Jesus Muhammad Mary cannot break Blasphemy Laws

General discussions
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Images of Jesus Muhammad Mary cannot break Blasphemy Laws

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Recently the "virgin-Mary"'s image was seen in Limerick on a bit of tree or something like that, and after my neice brought it up I asked her what Mary even looked like, was she black-brown-white even, was she like the south-American Madonna or look like someone from the middle East, did she have black hair or blonde hair. Then I asked was there a picture of her, did someone paint her? Also all images of her are portrade as a 20 somthing woman, even the birth of Mr. Jesus, but as far as I know she was 14 years old @ time of parturition, which makes sense as it was customary to marry at a young age, so a virgin 20 year old would have been viewed like a spinster.

This made me think of good old Blasphemy of Islam by printing a pic of Muhammad, if you cannot show a picture of him how do you know what he looks like, and then how do you know if someone is committing Blasphemy under Islam. If you put a pic of Dermot Ahern and called him Mohammad, then can Muslims protest at that.

This is as true for "Jesus" as the west's Jesus is a white hippy, but he couldn't of looked anything like that.

So it's taken as popular view as to what any of them look like, so if say jesus had his 2nd coming and walked into McDonalds, no one would recognise him, and rightly lock him up as a nut.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Images of Jesus Muhammad Mary cannot break Blasphemy Laws

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 am

I'd go as far as to say that the images we consistantly see of Jesus and Mary are racist. They've changed the skin colour to something more asthetically pleasing to a racist white person. Why are these images still in use?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 am

I think it's a bit of ignorance mixed in with confusion over the phrase "Made in God's image" which is surely blonde & blue eyed. Surely. Add centuries of art depicting European-style holy families and no-one will identify a dark-skinned Arabian as their personal saviour.

OR

Includes proof that his pretty blue eyes were inherited from his mum:

Ah wait! I have found the answer:

It must be true, you can own this booklet for less than 9 dollars The website says:
"NEW! WHAT DID OUR LADY LOOK LIKE? Did you ever wish to know what Our Lady looked like? Here is a eye-opening meditation book by Rev. Daniel Lord on what..."
You can also order the excellent The vice of impurity from the same place "a sobering look at the sin of impurity and how impossible it is to break free from it. Excellent for parents to understand the gravity of this as well as older teens that should be made aware of the dangers"
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Regarding "What did our lady look like?": She's always represented as blandly pretty. Iconographers down through the years seem to have independently discovered the attractiveness of the average face.
"Religious belief of all kinds shares the same intellectual respectability, evidential base, and rationality as belief in the existence of fairies." AC Grayling
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Ooh, I couldn't resist: I had to blend the stereotypical jesus with the "real jesus" in Ygern's post above:

cheers
Ben
Last edited by DollarLama on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Religious belief of all kinds shares the same intellectual respectability, evidential base, and rationality as belief in the existence of fairies." AC Grayling
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:00 pm

...and of course Jesus is the son of God, so I bred the two Jesi together to produce this lovely baby:

Irish Shaman

Post by Irish Shaman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Does this break the law then?

*COUGH* SHAMELESSPLUG *COUGH*
http://www.youtube.com/1rishShaman

Atheism, Atheist Ireland, Gaming, The Atheist Experience... what more could you want?
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:06 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I'd go as far as to say that the images we consistantly see of Jesus and Mary are racist. They've changed the skin colour to something more asthetically pleasing to a racist white person. Why are these images still in use?
I agree. The pictures that have been painted down through the ages of the holy family are almost Nordic in appearance. Clearly this was done to appeal to a western audience. The mere thought of westerners going down on bended knee to a man with dark skin wouldnt have really appealed to many western folk. In effect, you could make the arguement that this stems from racial Prejudice.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 pm

how is he depicted in afirca and the middle east
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't know about the Middle East but in Africa they mostly use the standard European images. Here and there you find "black" Madonnas and Crucifixions in some misguided attempt to make a European religion more "relevant" and "accessible"; but they are not that common, and equally wrong as they are packed with political posturing and tend to be used as a fairly bald-faced marketing manoeuvre.

Example: Nearly as bad as the blue-eyed version

The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics