Testing the blasphemy law

General discussions
Telison

Testing the blasphemy law

Post by Telison » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Firstly, forgive me if this or a similar idea has already been discussed before.

After reading an article about the Irish blasphemy law I couldn't stop thinking about an interesting action that could be undertaken by opponents of the law.

In an internet community like this, if all members could collect references to any published litterature, be it books or web material, wherein anything that could be considered blasphemy exists. Just any type of reference from questioning religions to bad mouthing any god of any religion, of course including religious texts of various religions, classic philosophers and the like. Then, after assembling a list of hundreds or even better thousands of references, turn them all into the police and prompt them to investigate all the responsible people, be it authors or publishers.

Again, I assume such ideas may have already been discussed, I haven't had the time to read through the earlier discussions, I just wanted to share this idea.

Regards
/Tomas, a swedish atheist

PS. For those who dont know about this atheist movement http://the-brights.net, it should interest you.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Testing the blasphemy law

Post by ctr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Thomas

I believe planning something to "Test" the law is at an advanced stage. However the Law is not in force yet and won't be until October.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Testing the blasphemy law

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Hello Thomas,

Did you already sign the petition on http://www.blasphemy.ie ? You don't need to be irish to sign it. Thanks for posting, I have emailed some dutch atheist site but no response yet. The more people know about this absurd law the better.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.