Could teaching religion cost a BILLION.

General discussions
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Could teaching religion cost a BILLION.

Post by GT » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Maybe someone could help me flesh out the sums here.

Over 90% of all primary schools are catholic owned and most classes get an hour a day of religious indoctrination not to mention rehearsals for communions, confirmations and nativities etc. Now junior and senior infants have a day that is approximately 5 hours per day and above that is 6 hours per day. So it would be fair to say that 20% of the pay of primary teachers teaching junior and senior infants is going toward promoting Catholicism and approximately 16.666% of the pay of all other primary teachers is going towards promoting catholicism.

So it would then be fair to say that the Irish state pays 17.5% of the total primary school wage bill to promote fairytales.

Anyone know the payroll cost of primary school teachers in Ireland. the Dept of Education overall "current spending" budget (mainly payroll) for 2009 is €8,642,000,000. Now if we were to be really blunt and divide this figure by a third to see how much primary school education costs, €2,880,666,666 so 17.5% of this is €504,116,666.

Now I know the cost of all the civil servants, and janitors and special needs teachers etc etc is included in the overall figures BUT COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT THE TAXPAYER IS PAYING ALMOST HALF A BILLION EURO TO TEACH RELIGION IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS...... and it is taught in secondary schools and fecking 3rd level as well (Theology degrees) so could teaching religion be costing the taxpayer a BILLION overall?

GT :shock:
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Could teaching religion cost a BILLION.

Post by Dev » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't remember being taught Catholicism in primary school and I went to a National School. Is it part of the curriculum?

I do remember it being discussed a few times in class but it certainly wasn't being taught like Math or Irish. For me it came under history. I think religious education is important. Of course I wouldn't limit myself to just Catholicism. A broader more academic take on religion, the history of religions, the reasons some became more popular than others, the abuses that happened, the schisms and conflicts etc.

This is already being done to a certain extent under History but it does have its limitations. The reformations and the Dark Ages are covered quite well in the Irish Junior Cert History curriculum but it should be a tad more comprehensive.

I see nothing wrong with Theology degrees. Christopher Hitches once said all educated people should be familiar with the big religious texts. Since they are massively influential. Many atheists I'm sure studied theology*.

In short, teaching only Catholicism = bad, teaching religion academically = good.

Your numbers aren't very solid either. Dividing by 3 to get the primary school budget? Very crude.

*Theology is the study of the scriptures for religions? I'm not 100%, let me know if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Dev on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:36 pm

yep dividing by 3 very crude...considering more people go to primary school than either secondary or third level it is probably closer to 50%

Teaching religion good...i think not...better to leave it to the bedtime stories like the rest of the fairytales.

GT
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:30 am

You are right that primary schools probably have a good deal more students than universities but while there are three levels of education it doesn't mean you can just divide by three. I don't know the expenditure statistics but universities while smaller in student numbers probably occupy a greater euro per head of public money due to expensive equipment, €80,000+ lecturer salaries, research grants etc.

Maybe it works the other way, with university students having far higher pupil to teacher ratios and less hours in class. Facts and numbers give weight to and argument. All I was suggesting was a little further investigation. Primary schools could be way more expensive or vice versa. I don't know. I do know dividing by three sounds a little "blunt" as you said yourself.

GT wrote: Teaching religion good...i think not...better to leave it to the bedtime stories like the rest of the fairytales.
GT
Ignorance of religion is not the best way to combat it. The best place for it to be taught is in a school. I'm not suggesting it be taught as fact like it is on a Sunday. People need to learn about religion because if atheists and theists can agree on one thing its that religion has a huge influence our world.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:19 am

I have to say I didn't get taught religion in school and it is a handicap when arguing with religous people. It's good to know the main point of every religion and how to argue them, that what they should teach. I have the dilemma next year if I let my kids participate at the lessons in school or not.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.