Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

General discussions
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by GT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Well not exactly a sexist question but I'm sure some of the answers will be :lol:

There are more females in Ireland than males. Yet there are substantially less female atheists than male atheists (approx 90,000 Vs approx 123,000)

Why do more wimmin believe in god than men belive in god?

Is Ivana on the forum....love to hear her answer :roll:

Regards,

GT
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
smiffy

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by smiffy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Where are you getting the figures from? The figures from the last Census give 110,000 men and 75,000 men who claimed to have 'no religion' on the form (the figures for those self-identifying as 'atheist' are neglible).
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Oops wrong census that was 2002.

Figures are for "no religion" + "not stated" combined. For no religion only the male figures were 82K and female 57K

let me go digging....

GT
Regards,

GT

GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 pm

OK 2006

No Religion
Male 110,756
Female 75,562
47% more males than females

Not Stated
Male 39,377
Female 30,945
27% more males than females

Anyway question is same a original post

WHY are there more male atheists than female atheists when there are more females than males in the country?

GT
Regards,

GT

Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:17 pm

If I were to suggest a reason, complete hypothesis from this data. I would say logic and reason has a stronger appeal to men then women. It would also explain how men are more likely to follow pursuits in engineering, mathematics and computer science than women are. When there are more women in our universities than men.

Since atheism also has a strong appeal to logic and reason more men are likely to take interest in it. I would like to reiterate how this is only a hypothesis and would welcome any criticism.
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm

If you add in 'not stated' you get about 150,000 men and 105,000 women.

I think you're making a bit of a leap with the figures, though. There's no basis for assuming that those who did not respond to the question did so deliberately, or out of any intention to send a message about their religious beliefs. They may well have just forgotten to answer, made a mistake on the form or just didn't want to answer, for whatever reason. About 70,000 people failed to answer the question about ethnicity, for example.

Similarly, it's a bit of a stretch to say that everyone who responded 'no religion' is actually an atheist. Certainly, the vast majority of atheist would have replied in this way, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the category is an atheist. All the figures can tell you is maximum number of atheists in the country, but not much more.

It's possible, for example, that those who would define themselves as 'spiritual but not religious' (vague and probably poorly thought-out, but it's a definition that's out there) would respond 'no religion' to that question. You might then ask when you many more men define themselves in that way than women.

As it happens, I think there may well be more men than women who define themselves as atheists, but I've no real basis for that. The gender breakdown on sites like this, or membership of atheist/humanist organisations isn't any help, because those populations aren't representative of anything other than themselves. Without a far more detailed survey than the one in the Census, there's no real way of knowing what the figures are, let alone providing an explanation for them.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Smiffy,

You must just love typing.... :roll:

It is fairly obvious with or withut the official statistics that more women than men believe in god. Outside Atheist Ireland I haven't come across many female atheists at all....yes I know it is anecdotal evidence so we don't need another 10 pager pointing this out...

So please address the queston....

Question is why why why are there, or does there appear to be, less female atheists than male atheists.

GT
Regards,

GT

Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:00 am

DEV:Since atheism also has a strong appeal to logic and reason more men are likely to take interest in it.
Living up to your namesake Dev? Maybe the women are too busy dancing at the crossroads, God bless their feeble minds.
Can you give me a shred of evidence that the 'male mind' is more logical and amenable to reason than a 'female mind'?
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am

Feardorcha wrote:Can you give me a shred of evidence that the 'male mind' is more logical and amenable to reason than a 'female mind'?
Just walk into any newsagent and look at the womens magazines. Grown women seem to love frivolous childish nonsense like horoscopes, looking pretty, birthday parties, making a wish, blowing out candles etc. Theres more content in a Peter and Jane book.

The puny female brain seems to hit a limit around age 13 and doesnt develop any further. That makes it susceptible to religions and other marketing cons.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:00 am

Evidence?
What you have given is prejudice - and very revealing of your own mind-set it is too. 'Catholicism makes you stupid'? Indeed it does, and it makes good misogynists too.
My local newsagent has also a display of magazines on cars, tractors, golf, guns and angling (men posing with phalluses and dead fish). There are also tabloid 'newspapers' with stories of footballers sex lives, pictures of women's breasts, 'heros' winning children's ball games and puerile comment/'news'. I don't take this as evidence of a 'male mind'. In fact, the concept of male and female minds belongs firmly in religion and in particular the most backward of religions, Islam, where it is brought to its logical conclusion of excluding females from all decision making and participation in public life.
So, any shred of evidence that this 'male mind' exists and is more logical than the 'female mind'?