Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

General discussions
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I wasted too much time reading that link and its sub-links. All I found was a lot of rich white anglo-american women naval gazing.
The world sorely needs a women's movement but that ain't it.
Here's one that offers some hope to us feminists that the world order can be changed: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:07 pm
Location: Sligo

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Beebub wrote:I've had this very conversation with a friend who lives in a small village in Ireland. It was directly to do with 'countmeout.ie'. There were no down sides to my defecting. I live in a city nto in the same suburb in which I grew up. My parents are atheists and so defecting had no real down side.

She said, it would inevitably get back to the PP in the village and she's already a little bit different because she doesn't go to mass. She's very involved with her community but at present that very much centres on the church and the PP. It would be seen as two fingers to the local church and not just to the organisation. So she feels there's too much down side and not enough up side to defecting so she's staying put.
what is PP? being dutch i dont know.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
munsterdevil
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by munsterdevil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:14 pm

what is PP? being dutch i dont know.
Parish Priest
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by adamd164 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:16 pm

I wonder why there seem to be so few men blogging in these subject areas. Is it just that they aren’t interested? Do they not have time what with all the sports and drinking and porn? Maybe they don’t feel up to handling tough subjects, or perhaps the conversational style is offputting to them?
Bigoted tripe no better than what was expressed in earlier portions of this thread.

My own two cents, for what it's worth: I cannot stand attempts to feign a lack of difference between the male and female brains for the sake of 21st centure Western hyper-PC. That's not to take any sort of crudely-drawn stance on which sex is "better at logic" or self-expression, or what have you. But I think that we should take seriously the fact that evolution has equipped males and females with different brains and at the very least consider this as a factor in such social trends.
Last edited by adamd164 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smiffy
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 pm

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by smiffy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm

adamd164 wrote:
I wonder why there seem to be so few men blogging in these subject areas. Is it just that they aren’t interested? Do they not have time what with all the sports and drinking and porn? Maybe they don’t feel up to handling tough subjects, or perhaps the conversational style is offputting to them?
Bigoted tripe.
:roll:

Did you read the follow-up post?
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by adamd164 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:22 pm

smiffy wrote:
adamd164 wrote:
I wonder why there seem to be so few men blogging in these subject areas. Is it just that they aren’t interested? Do they not have time what with all the sports and drinking and porn? Maybe they don’t feel up to handling tough subjects, or perhaps the conversational style is offputting to them?
Bigoted tripe.
:roll:

Did you read the follow-up post?
No, and you can shove your condescending rolleyes, too.

The follow up post wasn't linked here, I read the article on the page that was.
smiffy
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 pm

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by smiffy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:27 pm

adamd164 wrote:No, and you can shove your condescending rolleyes, too.

The follow up post wasn't linked here, I read the article on the page that was.
You really should. It explains the original post for others apparently unable to recognise the rather obvious satirical intent.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by adamd164 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 am

smiffy wrote:for others apparently unable to recognise the rather obvious satirical intent.
Oh my - I bet you feel that bit more fulfilled as a human being now, don't you? :lol:

Sad little man.
smiffy
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 pm

Re: Sexist Question - De Wimmin and De Religion

Post by smiffy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am

adamd164 wrote:
smiffy wrote:for others apparently unable to recognise the rather obvious satirical intent.
Oh my - I bet you feel that bit more fulfilled as a human being now, don't you? :lol:

Sad little man.
Bigoted tripe.

:wink:
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
Post Reply