Not an atheist

General discussions
anadub25

Re: Not an atheist

Post by anadub25 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:39 pm

I dont think its fair (or in the interest of atheists) to discourage people from debate just because we dont agree with them.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:45 pm

Yep, have to agree with anadub. I'm quite enjoying the debate and don't see the need for discouragement. Chesterson is quite brave to come on here and defend his beliefs and it's refreshing to see someone who doesn't just say we're all going to burn in hell. I'm as curious about what makes him tick as (I think) he is me.
Voltaire
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Voltaire » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:57 pm

I've gotten off to a very bad start.

I don't want to discourage anyone I'm just trying to get a straight answer to why Chesterton is putting himself through the wringer. He must be either mad or has some other agenda. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid. I'm new so I hope you give me a break.
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 pm

Voltaire wrote:What do you hope to achieve by airing your poisonous Catholic views on an atheist website like this one?

Come on man, I know Catholics find meaning in suffering and all but you must know you are going to get strips torn from you. There's just too many thinking people here or maybe you just miss talking with rational people.
I don't think anything Chesterton has said can reasonably be described as 'poisonous', although unfortunately the same can't be said about the post above.

It's fair to wonder whether, ultimately, much can be achieved from a discussion like this, where someone like Chesteron comes along and is pounced on and asked to explain every piece of Catholic doctrine, as well as plenty of things that no thinking Catholic would accept in the first place. That said, assuming he's not just trolling (and he doesn't appear to be), Chesteron seems like someone who's open-minded, intelligent and would likely add much to many of the discussions on here.

Immediately throwing insults at him (implying that he's unthinking, or that he doesn't talk to 'rational' people) adds nothing, and says more about you than it does about him, or even about Catholicism. Anadub was rightly irritated at Chesterton's suggestion that atheists, as people, could be summed up by their atheism. That kind of presumption is no more palatable when it's directed about religious people.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm new so I hope you give me a break.
Clearly, smiffy has decided not to cut you some slack.

Were the first two condemnations and subsequent apology and request for clemency not enough for you? :roll:
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm

Beebub wrote:
I'm new so I hope you give me a break.
Clearly, smiffy has decided not to cut you some slack.

Were the first two condemnations and subsequent apology and request for clemency not enough for you? :roll:
Oops. Sorry, didn't see the fifth page. My mistake.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Thought it seemed a little out of character. :D
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm

:wink:
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:42 pm

I have to say I really enjoy the debate. It is really good that someone like Chesterson comes in so open and willing to debate in a ordely manner. I hope he will answer the questions and that this debate will continue.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Chesterton

Post by Chesterton » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:41 pm

I just want you all to know that I really appreciate your comments and encouragement to continue with this discussion.

I spent a whole hour typing up some responses particularly to John's topically and more controversial ones. Unfortunately the post was lost when i submitted it, must have timed out. I promise to try again as I know they are all important issues, tough ones but important.

As for Voltaire, no hard feelings okay? Your question is valid and I had to ask myself the same question. I don't really know why I am doing this as you are right it is not exactly the most comfortable thing to be doing in my spare time. I know it was pure curiosity at first but it sort has taken on a life of its own. It has really gotten interesting. But you can relax there's nothing sinister going on. Just an exchange of very different views that's all.

I'm sorry my responses didn't get through and I just haven't the willpower or energy to write it all again but I will some other time, I promise. But I have to be honest not every question you put to me will be answered, there's just too many and then there's the counter comments and it can go from one topic to the next and becomes impossible to manage. But I will do my best. If we all keep at it over time we will talk about all the relevant stuff. wE all have to be a little patient that's all.

Got to finish up now, I wish you all well until the next time

i