Do you miss Sunday services?

General discussions
Rigsby

Do you miss Sunday services?

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:28 pm

One of the downsides of being an atheist, I find, is not having a weekly meeting where I can go and get my values reaffirmed. A place where atheists and like-minded people gather and validate each others core values and those beliefs they hold in common.

I tried attending the monthly humanist association meetings in Dublin but found that despite providing a useful networking point, it didnt fulfill my need to hear atheist values reaffirmed in a format I wanted. The format I want is a church service format, where an elder preaches a sermon at you, in order to grow your understanding of your fundamental principles and values. And includes a couple of short readings from supporting and relevant texts.

Does anyone else find themselves thinking this way? Or are you all like the proverbial cats, who would never participate in such herd like behaviour?
smiffy

Re: Do you miss Sunday services?

Post by smiffy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Try the Unitarians.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:37 pm

smiffy wrote:Try the Unitarians.
Unitarians are not atheist enough. They believe in spirituality and a supernatural God like presence. Very nice people though. Id definetly recommend anyone to go to their services in Stephens Green church, at 11am every Sunday, just for the experience of what you get when you mix christianity with reason, but cant quite accept that atheism is the result.
Last edited by Rigsby on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Rigsby wrote:The format I want is a church service format, where an elder preaches a sermon at you, in order to grow your understanding of your fundamental principles and values. And includes a couple of short readings from supporting and relevant texts.
Maybe there are some philosophy lectures you could attend on a weekly basis, don't know.
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:02 pm

CatHerder wrote:Maybe there are some philosophy lectures you could attend on a weekly basis, don't know.
Yes a weekly lecture is a good idea. But I wouldnt want to involve academics as theyd probably make it too high falutin. Im more interested in bringing rationalism to the ordinary person.
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Actually, the humanist meetings are quite good. But often they have no speaker to give a lecture and it is just a full 90 mins of people just talking about random subjects, without any preparation. Thats where they fall down.

On those occassions where there is no speaker, the meetings turn into debates, between usually two or three loud individuals which didnt necessarily interest the rest of the people. Thats why I stopped going, and started looking for somewhere else.
Last edited by Rigsby on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 pm

i suppose you would miss hanging around outside the church talking about the Sat night out, but not the nonsence being preached about inside. But i would agree that a speakerand a speific topic is a good idea for meetings. In dublin you could go down and support the protests outside the scientology building, which i think happens every Sunday.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 pm

aZerogodist wrote:In dublin you could go down and support the protests outside the scientology building, which i think happens every Sunday.
Thanks, thats a good suggestion. I might give it a try.

Now where did I put that mask :D
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Rigsby is it really being preached to that you are a little nostalgic about or is it being part of an established community that meets frequently? I too would like to meet with other atheists more frequently, I hope this is something that will come about in time. I certainly dont miss boring sermons though.. one of the things I like about the absence of an atheist equivalent to Sunday mass is that it mirrors the principle that atheism is not a set of beliefs to convert to but rather an enlightened premise which only allows for life being 'what you make of it'.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:11 pm

anadub25 wrote:Rigsby is it really being preached to that you are a little nostalgic about or is it being part of an established community that meets frequently?
Yep, I actually like being preached at. So long as it makes sense. Thats the key. I like to listen to someone who can teach me something I dont already know. And I like the fact that it imparts a common set of values to the congregation. When a group meets regularly, and reiterate what they believe in, what they have in common, their ethos. Thats what binds groups together.

One part of me wants to see atheists groups develop along the lines of protestant churches, or the jewish community. A group of like minded people, bound by a common ethos, that favour each other in business, and have subtle ways of recognising each other.