P.S totally just nicked your avatar for another forum
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Do you miss Sunday services?

Post by Beebub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 am

When a group meets regularly, and reiterate what they believe in, what they have in common, their ethos. Thats what binds groups together.
The problem with that for Atheists is that we're so diverse. I know there's huge diversity within religions too but they have a common purpose and common set of values they're supposed to follow. We don't. Just look at that types of contributors we get here. If I thought someone even slightly like Hobbsey or Alexis would be at these regualar meetings, I'd run a country mile from it.

In answer to your question. No. I hated going to Mass (except as a kid in school mind you when I got to sing, I enjoyed that).
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Absolutely not. Plain and simple, and if a perso feels they need to bleong to something go to the pub!
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm

munsterdevil wrote:Absolutely not. Plain and simple, and if a perso feels they need to bleong to something go to the pub!
How would that help reaffirm my atheist, sceptic and rationalist values?

Next you'll be telling me to hang out on the boardwalk and drink Dutch Gold with the alcos and druggies.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Rigsby wrote:
munsterdevil wrote:Absolutely not. Plain and simple, and if a perso feels they need to bleong to something go to the pub!
How would that help reaffirm my atheist, sceptic and rationalist values?

Next you'll be telling me to hang out on the boardwalk and drink Dutch Gold with the alcos and druggies.
The pub part was said in jest. I myself do not believe that I have to go anywhere to "reaffirm" any philosophical stance. But everyone is different.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Rigsby wrote:Yep, I actually like being preached at. So long as it makes sense. Thats the key. I like to listen to someone who can teach me something I dont already know. And I like the fact that it imparts a common set of values to the congregation. When a group meets regularly, and reiterate what they believe in, what they have in common, their ethos. Thats what binds groups together.
Is there not something of a contradiction there? You're saying you want to be taught something you don't know, but at the same time you're looking to have your views reaffirmed. There's nothing particularly wrong with either ambition, but I would have thought that one of the best ways to learn something new is to seek out that which challenges what you believe, forcing you to think more carefully about what you believe and whether, in fact, you're right.

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere that meets both your desires.
One part of me wants to see atheists groups develop along the lines of protestant churches, or the jewish community. A group of like minded people, bound by a common ethos, that favour each other in business, and have subtle ways of recognising each other.
Do the groups you mention favour each other in business particularly?
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:28 pm

I found Sunday mass endemically boring - something that I would not like to summit upon anyone. Maybe if you were young you might want to check out the other sex for attractiveness but otherwise TV was more informative.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 am

mkaobrih wrote:I found Sunday mass endemically boring - something that I would not like to summit upon anyone. Maybe if you were young you might want to check out the other sex for attractiveness but otherwise TV was more informative.
I recently had to go to Patricks Cathedral to see the rector. Since Evensong was starting just after I finished speaking with him I decided to stick around out of curiosity. I can see how people would be impressed. The sound of the organ was magnificent as was the choir. The building itself is one that I'm sure would inspire many people and combined with the music and singing the whole show is well worth a visit. There were only 8 people in the front pews and in the body of the cathedral there were about 40 people, mostly tourists (and one screaming baby). I don't know why more people don't abandon their dreary, boring CCL shows and go over to the C of I.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am

Rigsby wrote:
munsterdevil wrote:Next you'll be telling me to hang out on the boardwalk and drink Dutch Gold with the alcos and druggies.
Oi nothing wrong with anything Dutch!! :wink: Can't help you with your question though, I never went to church and have been in a handfull on a tourist.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
david

Post by david » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Rigsby wrote:
aZerogodist wrote:In dublin you could go down and support the protests outside the scientology building, which i think happens every Sunday.
Thanks, thats a good suggestion. I might give it a try.

Now where did I put that mask :D
Nah, generally just one Saturday a month (not counting spontaneous mini-protests). See http://www.anonireland.org