Sinead O'conner's Open Letter...

General discussions
bipedalhumanoid

Sinead O'conner's Open Letter...

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:33 am

I believe this was published in Hotpress.
Sinead O'Conner wrote: Dear Sir,

On behalf of all Irish artists – though most have kept their mouth shut – I demand the Irish government expel the papal nuncio and recall the Irish ambassador from the Vatican city in order to respect the people of Ireland, who are outraged by the contempt displayed by the Vatican for the suffering endured by survivors of clerical abuse and for the people of ireland in general.

I demand also the Pope himself stand down for his contemptible silence on the matter and his acts of non cooperation with the (Murphy) enquiry.

Popes have had no problem voicing their opinions when we wanted contraception or divorce. No problem criticising the Da Vinci code. No problem declaring Harry Potter books as evil. No problem criticising Naomi Campbell for wearing a bejewelled cross. Yet when it comes to the evils done by paedophiles dressed as priests they are silent. It is grotesque… unbelievable… bizarre and unprecedented. They stand for nothing now but evil. And our ancestors gave up anything that would have given them a moments joy. Because they believed these liars.

They have brought Catholicism and the idea of God into disrepute. We need to take back the church. Which is OURS. Not theirs. They are not fit to call themselves representatives of Christ. They represent nothing but evil any more.

They never believed that God was watching. And they still act as though they don't think God is watching. But every one of them will have to meet their maker in the end. Even the Pope himself. And if I were them, I would be very afraid.

I also demand that Brian Cowan step down for his having no testicles in the matter. He has no clue what Irish people want. He should stand down and admit he has behaved in this matter as a coward.

Sincerely,

Sinead O’Connor
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Sinead O'conner's Open Letter...

Post by eccles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:29 pm

I would like this to go to Sinead. I am posting it on her Web Site Forum, I hope she reads it.

Sinead, I have admired you ever since I saw your film clip for "Nothing Compares 2 U". I also admire you stand against the "Holy" Roman Catholic Church. You ask the Pope to stand down. Well "His Holiness" does not to have to stand down. He is not a valid Pope, nor for that matter are any Priests, Bishops, Archbishop or Cardinals since the disaster of Vatican II. The changes made by Vatican II turned the Roman Catholic Church into a heretical Church. For example, no Pope can make any changes to the Canon of the Mass, the Tridentine Mass promulgated at the Council of Trent in 1570 by Pope St. Pius V, who issued a Papal Bull ex cathedra ruling that the Tridentine Mass will be the only Mass allowed and no changes are to ever be made to it. It also means that no Roman Catholic has heard Mass since 1969 when the heretic Pope Paul VI introduced the heretical Novus Ordo Missae and banned the Tridentine Mass.
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Eccles, the "Vatican 2 = Heresy" line is regarded as a lunatic fringe protest by the vast majority of people claiming to be Roman Catholic, assuming they are even aware of it which I can assure you - and I have no doubt you already know - the overwhelming majority do not. Regardless whether there is any validity to the claim or not; it is not an issue that even registers as relevant in and of itself; nor does it have even the slightest to do with how the institutionalised child abuse cases have been dealt with by the Vatican.

If you want to confront the church there are better ways of doing it than trying to tag an obscure and dubious argument onto a far more legitimate and social issue that has seriously damaged hundreds if not thousands of Irish people. Trying to score points for your personal cause célèbre off the suffering of others is bad form.

That said, brave words from Sinead O'Connor. But her previous antics, as sincere as they may have been, will get her letter ignored by most people.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Anyone who shags John Waters is MAD....
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Well I like Sinead – I love her music - and felt warm feelings to Kris Kristofferson when he supported her after she ripped the pope’s photo (and I don’t really want to like that guy) – I don’t understand her obsession with all things catholic – but I don’t think she is a nut. I hope she joins this site - though I doubt it as she’s a believer.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:58 am

mkaobrih wrote:I doubt it as she’s a believer.
She is a bit more devout than your average believer. She became a priest over a decade ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/328709.stm

She is a successful artist so I guess some would see merit in her music but she has been dabbling her hand in all sorts of different faiths, ideologies and lifestyles. Many of which are contradictory to each other. I wouldn't say nutty but certainly a few coppers short of a pound.
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:23 am

I think her anger (expressed through tearing up the picture of the Pope) was more directed at the Catholic Church than the John Paul II himself.

Her main gripe,as I understand it, is with Chruch policies with regard to contrception and sexual abuse.

I am not sure she would have any interest in contributing to this site, as she probably regards us as lost souls or something to that effect.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Well I respect her a lot – when no one else was speaking out against the church’s abuses against the people they supposedly support - she took a stand – an unpopular one. Now she’s seen as a nut – it’s unfair. She’s a christian – and I’d prefer more like her version of faith, than like the pope(s) (whom only seem to want a flock of sheep).
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Our enemy's enemy is our friend?
Brian
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 am

brianmmulligan wrote:Our enemy's enemy is our friend?
That sums it up Brian ;-)

Her appearance on the late late was incredible.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.