Sinead O'conner's Open Letter...

General discussions
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Sinead O'conner's Open Letter...

Post by Beebub » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:58 am

It was. And she was so right. But unfortunately she's too easily dismissed as 'mad', so it won't be taken too seriously. I thought it more poignant coming from someone who still beleives in god. It's easy for a non-believer to say that the catholic church is full of crap. But it takes something more to be a believer and say that those in the catholic church are not true christians or true believers.

But the general reaction will be along the lines of 'here she goes again, what's next on her attention seeking agenda'. In fairness given her past antics it wouldn't be too surprising a response.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 pm

From a personal point of view, I have always loved Sinead O'Connor's music, but always considered her to be a bit off. However, going by last Friday nights show she seems to have solved her problems, she was so open about her manic depression and bipolar disorder.

As a believer she was perfectly right, but what disappointed me was the lukewarm (if not cold) reception she received from the audience, she barely got a round of applause off them.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Fair play to her! She scores a point in my books anyway. If only there were more high profile people speaking out, but they seem to be giving Jim Corr more air-time of late... :roll:

----Second Thought ------ (RTE have the Late Late interview on YouTube)

Is she mad or an eccentric genius??
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 pm

While wishful thinking would suggest that we'd like to see more high profile people speak out against the church. Almost as good albeit less visible will be the how the high profiles will simply become more distant. Bono won't be so quick to hold up his rosary beads anymore nor will politicians want to be surrounded in white collars.

The reputation of the church has been permanently tarred and many of the really devout are simply going to die off in the next decade.

Regarding O'Connor's claim on speaking on behalf of "all Irish artists" is simple hyperbole along with claims that the church is just "pure evil". I find it ironic coming from a woman to accuse someone of having no balls when simply saying he was a coward was sufficient.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 pm

as i said the other day it would be fine if she was just condemning the abuse but shes actually having a tug of war with the church over an imaginary concept
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Sinead O’Connor pens angry letter to Pope over paedophilia statement
CONTROVERSIAL star Sinead O’Connor has launched a scathing attack on Pope Benedict XVI over the statement that paedophilia was theorised in the 1970s as being "fully in conformity with man and even with children".
irishexaminer-22Dec
theist

Post by theist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:59 pm

She's also called for the Pope to resign
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:07 pm

I suggest she does not hold her breath.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:10 pm

I hope her and Dermot Martin branch off the main CCL (and let them rot) and form a more humane catholic church for catholics in Ireland.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:33 pm

mkaobrih wrote:I hope her and Dermot Martin branch off the main CCL (and let them rot) and form a more humane catholic church for catholics in Ireland.

i hope they don't, i don't see how she can't see the concept of superhuman all seeing deity was a tool for abuse, and Diarmid Martin amazes me in his abilty to speech in third person about the church and the abuse that was covered up here and elsewhere as if had nothing to do with it.
test