Why do Atheists think life is pointless?

General discussions
Jim_Jim_James

Post by Jim_Jim_James » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:48 am

I consider myself to be a rational believer in Christ and hopefully we can have an adult discussion without the whole thing denigrating into name calling as so often happens.

My question is quite simple. Atheism seems to me to preach that life is utterly pointless and totally devoid of meaning and that suicide would be the most rational option given the circumstances. Is this what you believe and if it is how do you justify being alive at all?
Do you not find it all massively sad and depressing? I honestly don't understand the idea of a pointless life.
I am sure someone will come along and say that I am deluding myself into believing in God but I have heard the voice of the one true Christ and believe that he walks with me always. How can you live ignoring Him?
I am genuinely curious.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Why do Atheists think life is pointless?

Post by dugges » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 am

I'm an atheist and I don't think life is pointless
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 am

When did you stop beating your wife?

What a fucked up loaded question.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:41 am

Op you can have “an adult discussion without the whole thing denigrating into name calling” however judging from your opening post I suspect that your incapable of this and before long you will be banned for trolling.

The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:49 am

I don't think life is pointless, I think life is what you make it.

I enjoy my life to the full and that is exactly the point. Pretty sad though that the only thing stopping you from suicide is the believe in a supernatural being in the sky.

I don't understand why you have to feel quilty about it or why I have to prepare for an after life of which the existance is not proven. Can you prove your christ is the right supernatrual being? I don't even ask to prove his existance.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 am

Jim_Jim_James wrote: I have heard the voice of the one true Christ and believe that he walks with me always. How can you live ignoring Him?
I am genuinely curious.
what was that you were saying about being rational? :shock:

and by the way atheists do not "preach" anything -thats your lot who do that
والقس هو مجنون
Jim_Jim_James

Post by Jim_Jim_James » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

chemicals wrote:
Jim_Jim_James wrote: I have heard the voice of the one true Christ and believe that he walks with me always. How can you live ignoring Him?
I am genuinely curious.
what was that you were saying about being rational? :shock:

and by the way atheists do not "preach" anything -thats your lot who do that
Are you saying a person who believes in God is incapable of rational thought unless they agree with you? That sounds like preaching to me. Or maybe its the holding forth in the absolute belief in something that can never be conclusively proven, ie: the non existence of God, and refusing the accept even the slightest amount of validity to any other argument or viewpoint.

And I don't think its a loaded question or even offensive. Its quite simple really do you believe that life has any point whatsoever with out the divine?

"Can you prove your christ is the right supernatrual being? I don't even ask to prove his existance."
No, but you can't. I believe that Jesus Christ is the only son of God and that one must accept him as the saviour of humanity. I am perfectly aware that that must sound absolutely insane to you but I see what you believe as equally nuts, I mean how could there not be a God? And how could life have a point if you and humanity as a whole are just the produce of the cold, unthinking and unfeeling random calculations of nature that has created a race of suicidal apes floating around on a rock in a cold dead universe with no other point to their lives that senseless hedonism resulting in nothing.

"Op you can have “an adult discussion without the whole thing denigrating into name calling” however judging from your opening post I suspect that your incapable of this and before long you will be banned for trolling."
What makes you say that? I don't see anything irrational in my question or the reasons for it. I was hoping someone would say
"I am an atheist and I think life has a point because...."
and placate my curiosity because, as I have said already, I want to understand what a person believes in if they reject God and believe that they are nothing more than a chance happenstance of evolution.
Also what is trollng?
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 pm

The burdon of proof is never on us but on the proposer (you in this case) Ofcourse I cannot proof he doesn't exist just as I can't proof fairy's, dragons, trolls, the flying teapot or other super natrual things don't exist.

It seems very sad to me that the only thing which stop you commiting suicide is your believe in something you are not even sure about. Lets be clear you state you believe.. this is not sure.

I look at the evidence given and that can only lead to the conclusion that there is no god.

How do I life my live? I choose my own morals and I enjoy life to the full free of thinking of an after life or meaningless ceremonies.

Your comments are not offence to me at all. Coming on a atheist forum asking these kind of questions i and then say we preach is a bit steep. Remeber we didn't come to a christian forum to say every one needs to be an atheist. You can believe what ever you want, how far fetched or real it is, BUT we the right to come to our conclusions. You do not have the right however to mark your unfounded believe in your god as the right one without proving it is. That is not only disrespectfull to us but every other religion as well.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Jim_Jim_James

Post by Jim_Jim_James » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Well first off
"Remeber we didn't come to a christian forum to say every one needs to be an atheist."
That's how I got the link to this forum.

And secondly the point of faith is faith. And you have no right to mark your unfounded belief as the right one without proving it is. That is not only disrespectfull to us but every other religion as well. I simply looked at the evidence and it logically pointed to the conclusion that there is in fact a God and he is a real presence in the world and universe.

"How do I life my live? I choose my own morals and I enjoy life to the full free of thinking of an after life or meaningless ceremonies."
That doesn't answer the question in any way. I didn't ask you how you live your life I asked you about the philosophical implications of what you believe. Going on about "Free thinking" means nothing, I consider myself to be a free thinker there isn't anyone holding a gun to my head forcing me to praise God or anything and I haven't been duped into religion by some sinister other. And what's with the persecution complex the "BUT we....etc" I never said you can't believe in what you want to believe or anything remotely like it, the opposite in fact I want to know what you believe instead of the usual patronising jargon about "free thinking" and "reason" and the idiocy of the faithful like its impossible to have an intelligent person who believes in God.
And as for the burden of proof. I see it everywhere. In everything. I refuse to believe that something as perfectly ordered as nature could come to exist by accident but I'm not trying to prove anything to you or anyone else you can believe whatever nonsense you want. You will go to hell and I hope you don't but thats just the way it goes. I just asking not arguing.
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm

@Jim_Jim_James, I'm not offended in any way by your question, but do you not think that maybe each and every atheist in the entire world gets remarkably tired of hearing this same question, over and over again.

The problem with the question is that it's based on nothing more than your own misconceptions of what atheism is, start with "What is atheism?" and if you can answer that one correctly you'll see that your question is fundamentally flawed (and loaded to the point of breaking :lol: ). If your genuinely curious (which I doubt) many of us here would be happy to help you out, but you'll need to take a few steps back first and unburden yourself of some of those misconceptions.

And BTW, decending into threats of hell will not settle anything.

edit: having a bad spelling day.