Is 'atheist' still a dirty word in Irish society today?

General discussions
Dr Raskolnikov
Location:"In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""
Re: Is 'atheist' still a dirty word in Irish society today?

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:10 am

SeanB wrote:@aZerogodist: If you're comfortable in saying, would you mind going into a bit more detail about the area you live in yourself and your experiences with the people in that area?

@Dr Raskolnikov: same questions as i asked to aZerogodist.

Thanks to everyone who'se participated. This is already really helping my understading somewhat, even if it cant exactly be considered random sampling of atheists in ireland :P If you'd try to answer some of my further questions in this post i'd really appreciate your inputs :)
I don't live in Ireland any more - but the tentacles of religion can reach out to you across the sea. When you know the damage that the truth can do to individual real people who you love, it's not so easy to live by your principles. I would happily stand up to the Pope himself, but my own mother and father... I couldn't do it to them. It's not their fault their minds have been irreperably poisoned by religion. But it's my fight, not theirs.
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders