Jesus! Why did I say that, for God's sake?!

General discussions
DaithiDublin
Jesus! Why did I say that, for God's sake?!

Post by DaithiDublin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 pm

A couple of weeks back I took part in a podcast that was posted online for all to hear. It doesn't have a whole lot of followers, but still - strangers will be able to hear me babble on for a long time to come.

Listening back, one thing that struck me (apart from a preponderance for tangential rambling) was how often I used religious language in my normal speech.

"Jesus!", "Oh God!", "Thank God" and "for God's sake.." seem to be standard exclamations for me. They're the kind of phrases that just roll off the tongue and are obviously the product of a Catholic upbringing, but I can't help feeling that I'm shooting myself in the foot with every syllable. I know I'm not alone in this, I hear the same daily from friends both religious and atheist.

It just made me ever so slightly uncomfortable to listen to myself doing it. So my questions are: Who else finds themselves doing this? Does it make you uncomfortable? Can it be avoided? And what do you say to the odd religiot who says "If you don't believe in God, why do you keep saying His name?" (I hate that!!)

I've sometimes said that I didn't actually say "Thank God" but "Thank Od", which is another name for Odin. Not very convincingly, it must be said.
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Mr Kequc

Re: Jesus! Why did I say that, for God's sake?!

Post by Mr Kequc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun to challenge yourself not to say those things.

They're just words and they really mean nothing outside of the exclamation relating to whatever it is you were actually talking about. I think someone would have to be pretty damn (oops I did it too) hard up for a argument, if they had to bring up your usage of exclamation as a actual point of interest in your argument.

I like to say "Oh my God" and I use it frequently on purpose. I don't consider myself to be lending credibility to claims of a deity when I do it, more so that I find the thought hilarious. Like God was responsible for some amazing thing I just saw, a dolphin doing a back flip, as an example. If I said "Oh my God" I'm really just humouring myself. Not really actually saying god made the dolphin do a back flip.

Hope that helps.
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 am

I do it sometimes (JAYSUS, being almost a national expression and all) but to be completely honest not so much as I did, I seem to do it less due to the fact that I'm aware of it. It's been commented on, and I normally respond by saying that being an atheist made me a better christian :lol:. Get some seriously funny looks then.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:31 am

Mr Kequc wrote: I don't consider myself to be lending credibility to claims of a deity when I do it
Ah jaysus now, neither do I! And I haven't been called on it in any kind of theological discussions. More so by friends or family who should know better, generally as a way to wind me up.
Ter wrote:...not so much as I did, I seem to do it less due to the fact that I'm aware of it.

That's where I thought I was. I have been more aware of in recent years, and I did think I did it less. I probably wouldn't like to throw it aside for good. You can't beat a good 'Ahh J-ay-zizz!', certainly not when you come from Dublin. But what does actually bother me these days is not the youngfella, but his Da.
Saying 'Thank God', when some disaster has been averted, or good luck befalls me.
Saying 'I hope to God...' when I'm wishing someone well or settling plans.
Top of the list, be it as rare as logic in a convent or as welcome as a fart in a boardroom, comes 'God willing..', when I mean 'if all goes well'.

Is it something the Irish do more than others, d'ye reckon?
I know it's inappropriate to swear in certain situations and I can filter out 99% of those words. Why do 40% of the religious ones refuse to obey my God filter? It's a trace of the virus, isn't it? Like the scar left after a wound heals.
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am

I replace God with "Dog' - works in many ways.
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
Rogan
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Rogan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 am

I find the term "Bless You" after someone sneezes quite annoying, I work in an open plan office and when someone sneezes the others say "bless you", I do my very best not to use this term, but then I wonder if it comes across as being slightly rude, as the others would always say "bless you" after I sneeze. Maybe I should make a joke of it next time they bless me for my sneezing.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Rogan wrote:I find the term "Bless You" after someone sneezes quite annoying, I work in an open plan office and when someone sneezes the others say "bless you", I do my very best not to use this term, but then I wonder if it comes across as being slightly rude, as the others would always say "bless you" after I sneeze. Maybe I should make a joke of it next time they bless me for my sneezing.
That's a good example. Which begs the question, how far do you take it? Is refusing to say Bless you just bordering on being pedantic? There's always 'Gesundheit' for that one, but is there always a corresponding non-religious phrase you could use.

I don't want to simply substitute Dog or any other word for God. I'm not out to be contentious or even offensive. I just wonder can it be done.

BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:22 pm

I know someone who says: "For goodness sake" - "Thank goodness".
Also a lot of English people say "ah bless" or "bless you" - but without any religious intent whatsoever.
I sometimes say "thank nature" if in reference to a weather statement. "Nice day, thank nature" - I don't think it offends.

Check this out: http://www.the-brights.net/movement/toolbox/gby/
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
Dr Raskolnikov
Location:"In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Rogan wrote:I find the term "Bless You" after someone sneezes quite annoying, I work in an open plan office and when someone sneezes the others say "bless you", I do my very best not to use this term, but then I wonder if it comes across as being slightly rude, as the others would always say "bless you" after I sneeze. Maybe I should make a joke of it next time they bless me for my sneezing.
Agreed on the whole sneezing thing. It's just as commonly said over here in the UK where there's far less religious belief - I think people have inherited the phrase from previous generations as a polite thing to say when some sneezes. I don't think there is an alternative phrase.

I sometimes try to forestall others blessing me when I sneeze by dramatically exclaiming excuse me! when I sneeze, but it doesn't always work.

I do tend to end up feeling mean spirited for not saying it, but somehow you've got to make a stand in these small ways. It would definitely be useful to have an alternative polite phrase!
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:16 pm

In English-speaking countries, the common verbal response to another person's sneeze is "(God) Bless You" or in the United States the much less common "Gesundheit" (from German, meaning "health"). - Wiki
We often say 'gesundheit' though we have no American - or German - connections. 'Dia linn' is also commonly used hereabouts though it too has a god origin.