Participate in my research study on atheists

General discussions
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Participate in my research study on atheists

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:50 pm

It reminds me a a question I was asked years ago by a believer who just couldn't get his head around atheism. He asked me: "What do you do on Sundays when you're not at Mass?"
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:44 pm

I complete the survey, but I feel it was very negative. Why not ask questions about the positive effects of atheism, about whether or not it offers an enriching world view (it does!), and whether we feel happier and more fulfilled living without religion (I do!).
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Hi UCCResearcher.

I had an open-minded go at doing your survey but gave up after about two pages as I found it had absolutely no relevance to me. It appears to be written for members of a secret society or cult.

If you are sincere in your research, why not scrap it and write your own?
Are you genuinely looking for answers? Strongly looking, average looking or just going through the motions so you can pass an exam?
Yea I got to page two and gave up.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Dear UCCResearcher
I will not take this survey based on the replies by others. My time is precious.
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
LionelNashe

Post by LionelNashe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 am

I won't take the survey because I only discovered this forum/website today. It looks like an interesting site and I look forward to browsing around on it.
A lot of negative responses on this thread. Those of you who are commenting above are influencing others and biasing the results of the survey. If you dont agree with particular statements in the survey then you can click 'Dont agree'. Without knowing the ultimate question that the survey is trying to address you can't really criticise the individual survey questions.
robreynolds2

Post by robreynolds2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 am

LionelNashe wrote:I won't take the survey because I only discovered this forum/website today. It looks like an interesting site and I look forward to browsing around on it.
A lot of negative responses on this thread. Those of you who are commenting above are influencing others and biasing the results of the survey. If you dont agree with particular statements in the survey then you can click 'Dont agree'. Without knowing the ultimate question that the survey is trying to address you can't really criticise the individual survey questions.

Shouldn't it be clear what the survey is trying to address? It was outlined above "There is a serious lack of academic research on atheism and atheist online communities". The complaint is that this survey does not accurately try to address this, instead it reflects the bias of the person asking the questions.

Unless of course the "Ultimate Question" as you call it is different than outlined, if this is the case then the survey is dishonest.

Maybe you should try the survey first? I would be very interested in your feedback.
Morality is herd instinct in the individual - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.cabinbee.com
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 am

And questions can be false or fraudulent.

Here's an example (this one isn't in this 'survey' but it makes the point).

"Do you believe in God?" This question assumes the existence of not just a god but an individual God with a personal identity. if you offer choices from 'strongly agree' to 'strongly disagree' you oblige the respondent to accept the premise in the false question.

In my experience here, any seeker after truth or even clarity about atheism, religion, science, the Eurovision Song Contest and law gets a great critical welcome on this forum - and what more could anyone want?
LionelNashe

Post by LionelNashe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:03 am

robreynolds2 wrote:Shouldn't it be clear what the survey is trying to address? It was outlined above "There is a serious lack of academic research on atheism and atheist online communities".
It shouldn't necessarily be clear what particular aspect of "atheism and atheist online communities" is being addressed. If you're designing a survey in social science to test a hypothesis, and if you state the hypothesis to the participants before they take the survey, this may bias the results.
robreynolds2 wrote:Maybe you should try the survey first? I would be very interested in your feedback.
I did read all of the survey questions, but the whole section about online atheist communities doesn't really apply to me because I only found this forum today, so I didn't submit my responses.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am

And if the participants don't take the survey at all, then there are no results.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:41 am

I was motivated to take the survey largely because most people here didn't. That fact tells you more about my psychology than any of the questions in the actual survey.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.