RC plans campaign to re-evangelise inactive mem

General discussions
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

RC plans campaign to re-evangelise inactive mem

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:28 pm

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/wo ... e-campaign
The Roman Catholic church in England and Wales has launched its first outreach campaign to get people back into the pews, with its lapsed membership thought to number as many as five million.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
DaithiDublin

Re: RC plans campaign to re-evangelise inactive mem

Post by DaithiDublin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:46 am

I hate it when links ask you to 'accept' them on Facebook before showing you the content! I hate that stuff clogging up my Wall. Here's the non FB link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/no ... e-campaign

As for the article, I like the text under the photo:
About a million Catholics regularly attend mass in England and Wales, but leaders say there are many more who are baptised but do not go to church
Here's the RCC using the baptismal register to assess the numbers of Catholics. Obviously data-mining their records to arrive at a figure of how many bums on pews they should be getting. Yet they claimed recently that they get their figures from the census records. That was nothing more than a vain (and disingenuous) attempt to thwart fresh efforts to get around their removal of the Act of Defection. This is a nice bit of info, thanks Tulip!
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 am

Sorry my bad!!

I always read the the paper via Facebook. I should have put in the link from the Guardian itself.

Will do so next time.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 am

Tulip1 wrote:Sorry my bad!!

I always read the the paper via Facebook. I should have put in the link from the Guardian itself.

Will do so next time.
No apologies necessary, Tulip! I just have a pet hate for things like that on FB. I rarely Like anything on there, because I may like a certain band but that doesn't mean I want to know what the drummer had for breakfast this morning. Know what I mean? I'm a progressive Luddite. :wink:
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
GeoffLillis
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GeoffLillis » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:22 pm

This could be like their recent 'Year of Evangelisation'. I'm always up for a chat about religion so I got in touch to see if they were doing something like the Alpha course. They said they were willing to post me an illustrated copy of the Gospel of Luke.
Thoroughly underwhelming, I doubt they'll be swelling their pews.