Difference between&essential character of Science&Religion

General discussions
Pbef

Difference between&essential character of Science&Religion

Post by Pbef » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:16 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Pbef on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Difference between&essential character of Science&Religion

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:56 pm

And you wrote this on Christmas Eve?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Pbef wrote:I recently saw this headline for an article by Alister McGrath: "Science is about explanation. Religion is about meaning".

I immediately wanted to replace the last sentence with:
'Religion is about "dealing" adaptively (without knowing it) with potentially debilitating sources of fear - mainly but not only 'conditioned-in' such.
You shouldn't. McGrath's formulation at least has clarity, something you've managed to completely remove. Your post may have a point but your writing style is so unintelligible that I was unable to find it. Perhaps you should consider a career as a theologian.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Pbef wrote:I immediately wanted to replace the last sentence with:
'Religion is about "dealing" adaptively (without knowing it) with potentially debilitating sources of fear - mainly but not only 'conditioned-in' such.

I feel my reformulation of the headline captures fairly well the perspective that is missing from Richard Dawkins' account
You might have captured the perspective, but you certainly didn't transmit it. I have literally no idea what you were trying to say, Pbef. So I read the article by Alister McGrath to see if there was anything in it that might get someone so fired up. But there's nothing new in that article. It could have been written by any Christian apologist.
As funkyderek said, you need to work on your clarity.
Pbef wrote:AEVASIVE loosely - including in a grammatically gooey way - stands for: "Ambiadvantageous[ly]" evolved veritable (or vital) actention {selection serving} system incorporating various "endoopiates".
Man, that's FUBAR!
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
robreynolds2

Post by robreynolds2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:26 pm

To be honest this looks like it was written in English, translated to some other landguage with babelfish and then translated back again to English with Google translate.

I work for a Japanese company and translation software often feeds back this kind of garbled nonsense. I strongly suspect this was not the work of the supposed author.

This is what the above text looks like when you do this:-

Way it translates that in Japanese which has BabelFish which is written in Google and English returns to English again and is translated, as for this honestly is visible in translation.

I the software feed back this kind of illegal character nonsense frequently, work the Japanese enterprise and for translating.I am strong, as for this think that it was not the work of the presumed author.

Obviously if the language you choose to translate into is closer to English you will get a better more coherent load of bo!!oX
Morality is herd instinct in the individual - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.cabinbee.com