Marijuana Legalization in Ireland

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Marijuana Legalization in Ireland

Post by Dev » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:23 am

Do/did you smoke it?

Where do you stand on it's legalization in Ireland?

I smoke myself, I enjoy it. Like few drinks there is little harm. I agree it should be legalized regulated and taxed both for recreational and medicinal reasons.

I just want to see where the rest of the forum stands on this issue.
anadub25

Re: Marijuana Legalization in Ireland

Post by anadub25 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 pm

I dont smoke it but i think it should be legalised for medicinal purposes like arthritis and for cancer patients since it has been shown to help stimulate their appetite.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:06 pm

anadub25 wrote:I dont smoke it but i think it should be legalised for medicinal purposes like arthritis and for cancer patients since it has been shown to help stimulate their appetite.
I agree, but I would oppose general decriminalisation.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Dev wrote:Do/did you smoke it?

Where do you stand on it's legalization in Ireland?

I smoke myself, I enjoy it. Like few drinks there is little harm. I agree it should be legalized regulated and taxed both for recreational and medicinal reasons.

I just want to see where the rest of the forum stands on this issue.
I don't smoke it, don't like it but agree that it should be legalized, regulated and taxed. On the regulation, though, I'd tend to the view that it should be allowed for home use, but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about the establishment of Dutch-style coffeshops (although maybe this is more a local planning issue than a criminal one).
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

I've smoked it but I found no attracion in it. Likewise with cocaine. It should be legalised, taxed and made to a standard. A lot of people are doing skunk now. I don't know what that is exactly but I'm told it's a lot stronger. A lot of the attraction with drugs is that they're illegal.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Gar

Post by Gar » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:54 pm

I used to smoke a fair bit not in a good while now though. I support the decriminalisation of all drugs. I think the hysterical attitude towards drugs in society is really unhelpful. I note that Portugal decriminalised drug use some years ago and they seem to have had generally positive outcomes. here's an article in scientific american about it.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:46 pm

I use to smoke long time ago, last year had a few tokes of hytroponic grass and swear I'll never go near that again.
Basically if someone grows a few plants for personnal use then that should be ok, like Australia. I heard of someone being raided a few weeks ago, they got two small plants and he never sold it, just for himself at home to enjoy. Seems like such a waste of Garda time. The illgality of it just finances criminals and therefore harder/harmful drugs, also deverts the laws time/money from stopping lets face it Heroin.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:50 am

Not just heroin. Crack cocaine is a big problem here already and we dont have the treatment provisions to cope with it. Crack addicts presenting for treatment are being treated with flippin methadone.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Morgase

Post by Morgase » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm

aZerogodist wrote:Basically if someone grows a few plants for personnal use then that should be ok
I agree with this.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:22 pm

I am consistently baffled by drugs being illegal. It appears to do nothing. We spend millions on policing the drugs and the only effects of this are:

1) The drugs get to the users anyway
2) The quality of the drugs that get to the user varies wildly, with all kinds of things mixed in to up the profits, mainly because of the loses caused by the policing.
3) Huge amounts of police power are wasted so when a user who is an abuser of the drug commits crimes to finance the habit there are no cops on the beat to deal with it. Response times of gaurds are hampered by less men on the beat.
4) We spend millions which are wasted as it is ineffective.
5) We make the people who do sell it very rich.

I always thought that if we legalised them the effects would be:

1) Huge amounts of police money and manpower would be freed up for the real crimes
2) The quality can be standardised like it is in food, beer, alchohol and more. Especially now when even Hash is becoming too potent to be as safe as it once was. There will be real people, in real companies to be held accountable for bad product.
3) Money will actually be MADE by taxing the product which can be put into the police force too, or other medical applications
4) Supporting those who abuse the products would be easier, just like it is with alchohol and cigareetes etc.
5) Our jails will be emptied of the many people put there for mere possesion or sale, freeing up space for the people who are committing real crimes.

Of course this is a general point and I think each drug should be examined on its own merits and demerits to find out if there is a reason it should be illegal. However the general default seems to be to make it illegal, and its only an accident of history that made alchohol legal and the big M not, expecially considering its cheaper, less harmful and less addictive than its tobacco and alchohol counterparts. I would hope that some day there is a massive review of these things.

I was delighted to see, in a music festival in St Gallan recently, that there were "Test your hash" tents which the police turned a blind eye to. You were able to take yours in and have it tested for its potency level to make sure it was good, pure, safe stuff.