Holiday Ideas

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Holiday Ideas

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 am

Stumped for Holiday ideas here, mainly because my criteria are so wide that theres 100s of options. Currently Corsica and Turkey are on my list so I would be curious if anyone has been there? What are they like? I have something of a mental block about Turkey and do not know why.

This site is always good for inspiration so maybe someone has ideas. The only stipulations are:

1) Girlfriend is pregnant, so flight from Frankfurt has to be short or medium haul. Long haul is out. So we are looking at Europe or areas just surrounding.

2) Dates are between May 21st and June 4th.

3) I just passed a driving test in Germany yesterday so if holiday involves driving it will have to be somewhere with car rental companies that rent to 1st year license holders.

4) I am vetoing anything in Italy as been there the last three holidays we had. Three wonderful and cheap holidays as it happens! But its time for a change.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Holiday Ideas

Post by Bik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:21 am

Personally I love northern Portugal. Great cities to visit, Porto, Guimares, Braga etc., lovely coastline, fantastic food and wine and the people are very friendly and accommodating.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am

Hi - try Bavaria or Tyrol -great weather and scenery and you probably speak the language ,lots of lovely picture post card villages,good public transport ,great beer n food . Kochel am see , Walchensee are lovely and quiet and a you can get to the top of big mountains on the cable car

http://herzogstand.kochel.de/index.php?id=0,114
http://www.bayernwebcam.de/webcams/walchensee/
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:02 am

Some more pics of Bavaria :D

والقس هو مجنون
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 am

Technically I live in Bavaria, or at least right on the border of Hessen and Bavaria, in Aschaffenburg.

But you are right, much of Bavaria remains unexplored by me so far. By holidays I did intend to LEAVE Germany, but you might be on to something there.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Chemicals is a man after my own heat, I done my Erasmus in Kempten, im herz den Allgäu - beautiful
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Gar

Post by Gar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:46 pm

I always enjoy myself when I'm in Bavaria, well technically Munich I don't tend to go further than Finsing when I'm there but I have pleasant memories of Bad Toelz and some of the many lakes, forget the names though.

I was in Malta a couple of years ago and I thought that was nice, super hot though and the beer was muck but great sites to go and see, blue lagoon, neolithic tombs etc.

oh and congrats on passing the driving test !
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

I can help you with where not to go...

Luxembourg - Boring
Brussels - Boring (and I still don't understand the point of the atomium)
Malaga - Boring
Milan - Boring

I think next time I plan a trip to the mainland I'll be starting a thread like this one.

I enjoyed my time in Paris and London (no surprises there). For me, much of Europe is unexplored and there's lots I'd like to see.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:52 am

I agree that Brussels is boring and I avoided Belgium as a whole for several years after visiting it but I went to Antwerp, Bruge and Ghent last year and thought they were great cities to visit.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:50 pm

If your looking at Turkey I could suggest Rhodes (Greece). Theres plenty to like including scenery, culture, food, buildings and activities. I remember traveling around the island on a moped and went scuba diving, took a charter boat (we saw the coolest caves) and visited a waterpark. Mostly though I ate Greek salads and chilled on the beaches. It's very affordable compared to some other places in Europe.

Certain towns are quite teenagery (think Majorca) but you can avoid them.

I wasn't a massive fan of Turkey, I'm sure there is plenty to like. I went to the south coast and there were some great things like getting a Turkish bath but there are better places. To be fair I travelled very little there though.

That said though Corsica does seem cool but I love France.

Admittedly there will be a good few tourists but where isn't there in Europe during the summer?