Best Star Trek Series

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.

What is the best Star Trek Series

Star Trek
12%
Star Trek: The Next Generation
42%
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
8%
Star Trek: Voyager
31%
Star Trek: Enterprise (AKA Enterprise)
8%
Not a fan
No votes

Total votes: 26
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Re: Best Star Trek Series

Post by Ygern » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Kate Mulgrew is very Catholic - as in, she frequently talks about it more so than most actors talk about their faith, but I have to say she's the kind of Catholic I wish all Catholics grew up to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w397yC3ZKks

I think that in general where a Star Trek cultural norm goes completely against what the average US citizen would regard as acceptable, it is generally depicted as wrong e.g. Ferengi misogyny.

Then again, cultural relativism is a dangerous beast at times, shows like Star Trek are forever at the mercy of a well-intentioned but ignorant woo-mongering script writers. The Chakotay character in Voyager made me cringe sometimes, you could see it made the actor cringe too, with his tree-hugging tendencies based solely on the fact that he was a Mestizo and therefore must use "other" knowledge.

If cultural "tolerance" was used to defend slavery in Enterprise then the rot really had set in amongst writers...good grief! It's real world equivalent is the divorce case in Germany, where a physically abused & battered Muslim woman was denied a divorce in German court of law because the (complete & utter moron) judge decided that it was acceptable within the woman's culture for her husband to beat her.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Ygern wrote:If cultural "tolerance" was used to defend slavery in Enterprise then the rot really had set in amongst writers...good grief! It's real world equivalent is the divorce case in Germany, where a physically abused & battered Muslim woman was denied a divorce in German court of law because the (complete & utter moron) judge decided that it was acceptable within the woman's culture for her husband to beat her.
They went out of their way to create an alien culture that couldn't exist without slavery. The species had 3 sexes. The third is required for procreation but only makes up about 5% of the population. So their government assigns those people to couples on a temporary basis when they want to have children. Memebers of the 3rd sex don't have rights, don't get educated and are essentially used as slaves. They're assumed to be less intelligent than the others, but Trip proves that they're equally intelligent by taking a scan of its brain and teaching it to read and write. He does this without permission from anyone.

The slave asked for asylum on the Enterprise and Archer said no. Soon after it committed suicide.

Trip was made out to be the bad guy for interfering with cultures and a lot was made of the fact that they just don't 'understand' the culture of the aliens... of course no attempt was made to understand it and the moral of the story seems to have been that we should respect all cultures, even those that condone slavery.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location:"In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:34 pm

DS9! DS9! DS9!

This was the absolute best series. It's darker themes (what with the genocide, slavery, drug addiction, genetic engineering, war, redemption and loss etc.) make me think of it as the Star Trek universe's "Empire Strikes Back" to TNG's "A New Hope". The setting in a stationary space port is inspired and allowed the writers the freedom to escape from the cramped confines of the old "planet-hopping" paradigm.

Once you get to series 3, the story arcs were classic. Think of the Dominion, the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar (those genetically engineered, drug addicted nazi-style lizards). And the Cardassians, with Dukat and his "history's greatest monster" persona, supplanted by his need for redemption through the love of his daughter, and final damnation through being seduced by the Founders. There was no neat, everything is back to normal at the end of each episode aspect - quite often things went very badly indeed for the main characters.

And the characters were so memorable, with the Odo vs. Quark and Bashir / O'Brien comedy pairings, plus the scenery chewing antics of Captain Sisko and General Martok. And lest we forget, the triumphant return of Worf and the Defiant.

There you are... I'm a big nerd! :D
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders