Best Star Trek Series

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.

What is the best Star Trek Series

Star Trek
12%
Star Trek: The Next Generation
42%
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
8%
Star Trek: Voyager
31%
Star Trek: Enterprise (AKA Enterprise)
8%
Not a fan
No votes

Total votes: 26
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Re: Best Star Trek Series

Post by Byron » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Ygern wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
They did that exactly. They brought back the Andorians. They also brought back the tholians. ...
Communication fail on my part! I meant that last paragraph I wrote to be praise for what I thought were good elements of the series. :)
Byron wrote:The only series that compares to it is the remake of Battlestar Galactica.
Did you ever see Babylon 5? It is hard to watch as a series on TV because it was a long continual story for 5 years, so if you missed a few episodes you got lost. But watched from start to finish it is one of the most epic and intelligently written series ever. Also, the writer was fairly openly atheistic and avoided Battlestar's embarrassing final episode of Woo & Religious Overtones.
Nonetheless, it's still the best sci-fi show that was broadcast in years. I never bothered with Babylon 5 but I might do so over the summer holidays. : )
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 pm

TNG by a country mile. Howver, that's probably to do with my age. I grew up with it. Before it came on I had been watching the original series which was played daily on Sky 1 and I enjoyed it, but nothing like TNG. It was probably because I watched it is it happened, waiting for the next weries to come out. In fact, my local video library (remember them??) used to get the next videos in (3 episodes per video) ahead of RTE and Sky. I remeber pestering the video library about when the next ones were due. It was great stuff.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Byron wrote:TNG had it all. It had all of the best parts of the Star Trek universe that the other series sometimes struggled with. Some of the most memorable episodes dealt with what it means to be human and what identity is which was dealt superbly in the episodes when Picard is assimilated by the Borg and then when he's rescued and returned to "normal". The aftermath of this and Picard's struggle to come to terms with what had happened to him and what he had done as a Borg is some of the best sci-fi writing to ever grace our screens. The only series that compares to it is the remake of Battlestar Galactica.
The borg Locutus episodes were great. Later however I think the whole picard character got better following the episode where he was captured and tortured. Whatever happened in that episode Patrick Stewart really made the character his own and kept it for as long as the series continued from there on.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Maybe I was a bit harsh on DS9, so starting to watch again, I am missing 3 boxsets so I must go about getting them.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:41 am

I was never a massive fan but you have to hand it to the franchise, we probably wouldn't have so much sci-fi on telly without it.

I kind of like Voyager, but NG pips it to the post if for no other reason than the character Q, who I frickin love!

There's far too many trekkies here for me to even get into it beyond casting my votes.

(But for the record, Farscape would top even Next Gen, in a frelling heartbeat!)
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Sci Fi got very little respect from tv stations when I was growing up in Australia, which made star trek very difficult to follow. It was on late at night, after the news which was on after a movie, which could have gone for any length of time. Star Trek therefore started at varying times. If there was any kind of sporting event on somewhere in the world at that time, it replaced star trek and even worse than that, they played the episodes out of order.

For those reasons I'm rather blessed now that you can get all the episodes on DVD. There are still loads of them I haven't seen.

The Original Series:
Like it. Ahead of its time and all that. I own the first two seasons. I'd love to see a digitally re-mastered version where they remove the annoying boing/blip sounds though.

The Next Generation:
I liked it. I especially liked it as a teenager. Seems rather corny watching it as an adult though. There came a point though were I got sick the soap opera that seems to just happen to be set in space. Tired of the political correctness, politics and goody two shoes moral dilemmas. You're on an interstellar space ship! Go somewhere! I suppose they did, but most of the time the destination had little or nothing to do with the story most of the time. Hate the episodes with Q. Hate the episodes with the Borg. Want to punch Wesley Crusher. Favourite episode is the one where Picard lives an entire life in a few mins in his mind after encountering a drifting probe in space. I have seasons 1, 5 & 7 on dvd. Not sure what I’ve missed in-between.

Deep Space Nine:
I haven't seen very many of these. The ones I saw I couldn't stand. I'd love to punch the bright spark who decided a "stationary" space "station" was a good place to set a space based sci-fi series. I was surprised one day when I saw an episode that looked like it was setting up a series to go to war with the Romulan Empire (favourite episode). So maybe the epodes I haven't seen are the good ones but I’ll buy every other season of every other star trek before I buy any of these.

Voyager:
I was very excited about Voyager when I first heard about the basic plot. At the time it reminded me of the original Battle Star Galactica storyline. Nobody had talked about BSG in a very long time at that point. I was a strange 18yo for even thinking about BSG and I hadn’t seen it since it was on tv the first time. Anyway, it was years before I got to see an episode. I’ve seen sporadic episodes on sky and I own season 1. I’m looking forward to seeing the rest. It looks like a proper adventure with a well defined goal.
I do tire of some of the banal moral dilemmas. Shut up and shoot things! I’d like to punch the holographic Doctor.

Enterprise:
My favourite by far. It seems much more realistic and a lot less clinical than the others. Favourite episode would be season 4 episode 1 when they end up in Nazi occupied, present day Brooklyn. But the preceding season was the best overall season of any star trek series. The worst episode was the last one, which was actually a TNG episode. I have all 4 seasons on dvd. I’d like to punch the tv execs who axed it.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:37 am

Bip, I think that TNG episode is called 'inner light' one of my favs, another is 'starship mine' with Picard alone defending the ship.

DS9 did have some great episodes, any with O'brien & Bashir, one they where stuck on a planet assumed dead. The 'section 31' group showed a non-goody-goody side to the federation.

In the last few seasons of voyager, the doctor's role took on the topic of slavery
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:41 pm

I still don't know which one I'd choose. I think the one I want to choose was not necessarily the best, but the one I am most attached to. What I liked about each series was as follows.

TOS
I loved this for its sheer imagination and nerve. It may seem cheesy and full of clichés today, but it was daring for its time both in terms of using non-white actors and addressing controversial issues and frequently depicted alien life as blobs, large blobs and very large blobs. There are too many fist-fights, Kirk swaggers around maybe a little too often on away missions, and episodes end with a lot of posing around the Captain's Log, sorry Chair; but it is the iconic Trek and all others have to be compared to it.

TNG
This does seem a bit corny and dated now, but at the time it was I thought a reasonably good effort at re-imagining a series that was by the 80s a bit outmoded. The political correctness may seem a bit stifling, but they were not as unrealistic as it may seem: TOS was far too "Cowboys in Space" to work in the 80s. It was no longer acceptable to confine women to making tea (in fairness to Gene Roddenberry, he always wanted the No 1 commander position to be a woman from in the first episode ever). Some of their experiments didn't work (men in skirts) but strong performances, memorable stories and excellent scripts made the series a worthy successor. Worth watching are: Chain of command, Inner Light, The measure of a man, Best of Both Worlds 1, Remember Me, The Offspring.

DS9
I ended up really liking this series. It was perhaps more space-opera than the others, but the ensemble cast turned out good performances, notably for Sisko, Odo and Kira. Of all the series ever, it was the one that got female characters right in my opinion - they were allowed to be people first, with their own strengths and weaknesses, desires and dislikes and were on the whole not pushed into either virgin, madonna or whore stereotype roles.
There was an interesting exploration of religion v science - one man's Prophet is another man's Wormhole alien; although they did occasionally get carried away with the woo. And some of the story arcs were very dark indeed, it may not have been Roddenberry's vision of an enlightened future, but it didn't pull any punches about heroes screwing up, doing things they were ashamed of and failing at the worst moment.
There were also some superb stand alone episodes like The Visitor, & In the Pale Moonlight, and some hilariously silly ones like Trials and Tribble-ations & Little Green Men.

Voyager
This one is difficult for me to be objective about. It had so many superb actors and an excellent premise. But it also got some of the most god-awful scripts and hopeless directors. Some of the episodes were cringe-inducing and face-palmingly stupid because Star Trek - a science fiction series - allowed a vehemently anti-science, pro-woo moron (or more than one?) to write stories designed to put them uppity science-believers in their place - see Sacred Ground for example. Then again, it sometimes also did fairly good critiques of religion & tradition in episodes like Distant Origin where religious tradition is allowed to stifle the study of evolution and Death Wish which is about the right to end your own life.
Some of the Borg episodes were nicely done, but I also particularly liked Timeless, Year of Hell 1, Hope and Fear, Scorpion 1 and Latent Image.
The series also never really got comfortable with Janeway being a female. At first they opted for the Virgin Mother role (yes, it is a contradiction in terms) and later on it got worse when she appeared to be pursuing a relationship with a succession of holograms with as much personality as your average gigolo. Still, I enjoyed the series a lot.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:57 pm

I think one of the worst episodes of TNG was “Data’s Day” – “Ode to Spot” comes to mind. The Voyager one where Janeway falls in love with the “faith and begorrah” Orish man was also quite bad. I saw maybe the first 3 seasons of DS9 and liked it. Caught a couple of later episodes and was lost. TOS and TNG havent aged the best.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:24 am

Ygern wrote:Voyager
This one is difficult for me to be objective about. It had so many superb actors and an excellent premise. But it also got some of the most god-awful scripts and hopeless directors. Some of the episodes were cringe-inducing and face-palmingly stupid because Star Trek - a science fiction series - allowed a vehemently anti-science, pro-woo moron (or more than one?) to write stories designed to put them uppity science-believers in their place - see Sacred Ground for example.
Actually that's a really good point. I remember an episode where Janeway was getting back in touch with her catholic spiritual roots. Plus all the time the spend on Chicote and his native American spirit guide.

Next Gen spent a lot of time paying respect to 'culture' and religious beliefs of various aliens were included in that, but I don't recall any episodes where the core message was that everyone should believe in something spiritual. It was more like the liberal guilt "we have to respect EVERYONE ELSE'S culture but nobody has to respect ours" kind of deal.

Post Edit: I can think of one exception to that last paragraph though. There was the episode where in the alien culture it was ok to purchase children. Or any cases where the issue of slavery comes up. It's extreme cases like that that is seems it's ok to not respect alien cultures.

In Enterprise, Season 2 in the episode "Cogenitor", we all of a sudden do have to respect slavery as an aspect of a culture.

If only we had Gene Roddenberry coordinating!
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.