Michael Nugent's discussion of Marian shrines on Radio Kerry

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
DaithiDublin

Michael Nugent's discussion of Marian shrines on Radio Kerry

Post by DaithiDublin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I've just uploaded Michael's discussion on Radio Kerry regarding Marian shrines.

Tom Lawlor, of the Ballyheigue Grotto Committee carries the other side of the argument into some very dubious territory. It's one thing to argue for maintaining traditions (I love Christmas, and make no apologies for it), but he advocates for some very reckless behaviour here.

It's OK to walk around a statue three times to get spiritual comfort if that's what works for you, and another thing altogether to put your health at risk by doing the same thing in place of medical care. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he does actually say that!

Listening to him is like playing a game of 'spot the logical fallacy'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQERpWSIt5w
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Michael Nugent's discussion of Marian shrines on Radio Kerry

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Excellent upload, the old 'majority aurgument' we're a 80-90% country, no stats on how many of this majority actually believe in worshiping these 'idols'. Yet again a few minority true-believers claiming to speak for all christians.

The line from Tom Lawlor about people not being sheep... Priceless.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:48 am

Daithi, I really liked the way you put that video together. Great job!

I'd agree that Mr Lawlor is most likely speaking for a minority rather than the +80% of Irish people he thinks would agree with him. Similarly, I'll like to know how many Irish people go to places like Lourdes.

My cousin recently got married and I've met his father-in-law a few times now. He's big into stories about curses, ghosts and healers. I haven't had a conversation with this father-in-law without him resorting to tales of sorcery. I can ignore most of it but I find myself arguing with him over the faith-healers. He doesn't know yet that I've been struggling with my health but when he finds out and suggests I go to some seventh-son healer or drink from a scabby well on hallowed ground he's got another thing coming.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks, lads!
aZerogodist wrote:The line from Tom Lawlor about people not being sheep... Priceless.
Sure they're all individuals! :lol:
paolovf wrote:My cousin recently got married and I've met his father-in-law a few times now. He's big into stories about curses, ghosts and healers. I haven't had a conversation with this father-in-law without him resorting to tales of sorcery.
He sounds like a friend's dad. He visits all the moving, crying, bleeding statues he can. He once told me, with a straight face, that he was at one somewhere in Cork and "I sat staring at the statue for about half an hour. Just staring right at it, because I'm not gullible, I wanted to see it for myself. And I swear to God, I started to see a light around Our Lady's face and the leaves behind started to swirl"

He also firmly believed in faith healers, ghosts and many other things that his church frowns on. Some people's minds are so 'open' that their heads whistle on a windy day.
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)