Disgraceful!

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
David_s

Disgraceful!

Post by David_s » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi,

Newbie here, just thought I would alert you all to an article published in 'Alive' (catholic newspaper). It's one of the most ill informed and poorly researched pieces of Journalism I have ever encountered. I don't think it should be taken lightly.

Second article down
http://www.alive.ie/editors-jottings.html

Editors email
alivepaper@gmail.com

Thanks,
David
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Disgraceful!

Post by ctr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:07 am

David

No one...

Not even most Catholics...

Take the rantings printed in Alive seriously.

To even dignify it with a reply is, imho, not a good move.

Laugh at it like most everybody else dose and then use it for your chips.

oh btw welcome to the forum :D
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks David.
Wonder if there is a case here for defamation of character?
To me this is slander, just replace atheist with catholic or other group to understand.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:35 am

We're such no-hopers that Fr. Owen Gorman in his column in the same issue thinks we deserve our own patron saint!
Fr. Owen Gorman wrote:While the Church’s ongoing response to this growth in atheism will need to be wide-ranging, one part of that response could be to put nonbelievers under the patronage of a saint.
And who should it be? Poor auld Thérèse of Lisieux. As if she hasn't got enough on her plate looking after 'France, missionaries and florists.' :D

Her autobiography 'The Story of a Soul' ends:
St. Thérèse of Lisieux wrote:I beg You to choose in this world a multitude of little victims worthy of Your LOVE!!!
Does that give us the right to play the victim card? :wink:
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Sometimes I read Alive just to see how outrageously subjective their latest articles are (once they managed a back-handed compliment at poor Jesse J for being disapproving of the drinking culture amongst Irish college students when she performed for UCD; basically it was, "she's a whore so the fact even she disapproves really says something!").

... but most of the time my boyfriend throws it out when it comes through the letterbox to make sure I don't come across it, because really it just puts my blood pressure up.
Puck

Post by Puck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 pm

In my 'foreign national' ignorance, I just thought the grottos were some sort of local pagan heritage absorbed by the local church.

To me they're just a giant pagan, phalanx symbol. (yes I see them as giant vagina)
irishmason

Post by irishmason » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:23 am

Why are we no-hopers? I am HOPING that the church will be kicked down from their high pedestal and that their property cn be confiscated to pay the debts their FF friends caused.
:lol: :mrgreen:
Absolute freedom of conscience
Voltaire Lodge No. 2 of Research under the GMOIRL Liberal adogmatic Irish Freemasonry
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, Secularity, Solidarity