New ? lay organisation in Ireland

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
irishmason

New ? lay organisation in Ireland

Post by irishmason » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:03 pm

28 Nov 2011 for Kerry Radio
Quote:
New organisation to lobby for Pope to visit Ireland

A new Catholic lay organisation, 'Ireland Stand Up' is hoping to convince Taoiseach Enda Kenny to invite the Pope to Ireland next year. The group would like Pope Benedict the Sixteenth to attend the closing ceremonies of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress which will be held in Ireland next June.

They will also be lobbying to maintain the Irish Embassy in Rome. Mary Fitzgibbon from Tralee is a representative with the organisation.
Unquote
Absolute freedom of conscience
Voltaire Lodge No. 2 of Research under the GMOIRL Liberal adogmatic Irish Freemasonry
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, Secularity, Solidarity
irishmason

Re: New ? lay organisation in Ireland

Post by irishmason » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Wo will pay for the visit? This new lay organisation? Or again we the taxpayer? Maybe it is advisable to increase the VAT a bit more to cover the costs?

His visit was not even welcomed in his own homeland....so what does he intend to do here, convert Enda Kenny...?
Voltaire Lodge No. 2 of Research under the GMOIRL Liberal adogmatic Irish Freemasonry
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Reflecting on all the cuts being made recently I don't see how the government could justify funding a papal visit
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 am

I'm sure papa Benny could afford a Ryan Air flight to Knock Aiprort, or even more likely, I'm err pretty sure Michael O'Leary would give him a free seat.
irishmason

Post by irishmason » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 am

What about the fiver for the priority?
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:22 am

paolovf wrote:Reflecting on all the cuts being made recently I don't see how the government could justify funding a papal visit
Is this the same government that justified funding a visit from Elizabeth Windsor?

As much as I dislike Ratzinger and his organisation there would be much more interest from the Irish public in his visit than with Windsors, he mightn't fill the Phoenix Park as his predecessor did in 1979 but there certainly wouldn't be the ghostly empty streets that greeted Mrs Windsor.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
irishmason

Post by irishmason » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

Well said Bik!
irishmason

Post by irishmason » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 am

And her correct title is in repulican terms:

Citizen Elisabeth Battenberg-Windsor !
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 pm

drifting off topic guys!!
والقس هو مجنون
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Bik wrote:
paolovf wrote:Reflecting on all the cuts being made recently I don't see how the government could justify funding a papal visit
Is this the same government that justified funding a visit from Elizabeth Windsor?

As much as I dislike Ratzinger and his organisation there would be much more interest from the Irish public in his visit than with Windsors, he mightn't fill the Phoenix Park as his predecessor did in 1979 but there certainly wouldn't be the ghostly empty streets that greeted Mrs Windsor.
I'm in no way a royalist so I do not respect monarchs. However that visit was very significant in a political sense - the English are our friends now. Many English government officials also visited including their prime minister and minister of foreign affairs so it wasn't just their queen. Coupled with the Obama visit I think it really gave some good, positive media attention for our country after the months of bailout misery.

I'd have to be convinced that a papal visit would benefit our country in a political or economic sense. Personally I think it's outrageous that the RCC doesn't fund the trip, what did it cost the British, £20million?!