New ? lay organisation in Ireland

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Re: New ? lay organisation in Ireland

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 pm

paolovf wrote:I'm in no way a royalist so I do not respect monarchs. However that visit was very significant in a political sense - the English are our friends now. Many English government officials also visited including their prime minister and minister of foreign affairs so it wasn't just their queen. Coupled with the Obama visit I think it really gave some good, positive media attention for our country after the months of bailout misery.

I'd have to be convinced that a papal visit would benefit our country in a political or economic sense. Personally I think it's outrageous that the RCC doesn't fund the trip, what did it cost the British, £20million?!
I agree. I'm much happier about the positive symbolism of the visit of Queen Bess II than of PB16, although I'm sure it would create some interesting controversy and perhaps form a useful rallying point for "us and our kind". :lol:
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 am

aZerogodist wrote:I'm sure papa Benny could afford a Ryan Air flight to Knock Aiprort, or even more likely, I'm err pretty sure Michael O'Leary would give him a free seat.
The Vatican has it's own airline so I don't think he'd have a problem getting a seat on one of his own planes. Obama used his own plane, but unlike Obama the Pope also has his own airport here. And as one of the largest (if not the largest) landowners in the country I doubt he'd be short of a bed either. He's also got his own private army and his own armoured car.

It's none of those things that will stop him coming here next year. If anything it will be the bold faced temerity of your government to dare criticise the Holy See. They have vocally criticised the criticism, but they have yet to refute it!

Generations of their employees have abused generations of our children. They have given scant apologies for the abuse, and zero apologies for covering it up. I think it'll be a cold day in hell before they do, and seeing that they are happily blaming the devil for the 'scourge' of child abuse, I don't think hell is cooling down enough for that apology to even appear on the horizon yet.
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Puck

Post by Puck » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Dr Raskolnikov wrote:
paolovf wrote:I'm in no way a royalist so I do not respect monarchs. However that visit was very significant in a political sense - the English are our friends now. Many English government officials also visited including their prime minister and minister of foreign affairs so it wasn't just their queen. Coupled with the Obama visit I think it really gave some good, positive media attention for our country after the months of bailout misery.

I'd have to be convinced that a papal visit would benefit our country in a political or economic sense. Personally I think it's outrageous that the RCC doesn't fund the trip, what did it cost the British, £20million?!
I agree. I'm much happier about the positive symbolism of the visit of Queen Bess II than of PB16, although I'm sure it would create some interesting controversy and perhaps form a useful rallying point for "us and our kind". :lol:
It was great to have Aunty Betty visiting, so she could see for herself, how the natives are getting on over here without her.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Apparently the state visits by Obama and the British queen cost us €36million, €16million over budget.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1201/statev ... ml#article
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 pm

I just read that "The Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs has said he is in no doubt that should Pope Benedict XVI wish to make a State visit to Ireland that it would be responded to positively by the Government."

[source]