New Constitution

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

New Constitution

Post by Beebub » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Harry McGee writes in today's Irish Times that Labour is committed to wide ranging constitutional reform with a referendum in the lifetime of the next Dail...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 64673.html

Although the plan seems to be already drawn up, surely there is some room for manoeuvre. I don't imagine they'd be up for anything major, like making it a totally secular constitution because they'll want to get it passed in a referendum, but maybe we could lobby to have some chagnes made that would be a step in the right direction. For example, it probably won't be done in time but it could be highlighted that the next president can't be on no religion under the constitution because of the oath of office. The same with judges. Could we speak to Ivana Bakic for example and see if some changes could be made?
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: New Constitution

Post by GT » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 am

Oh I doubt Labour would have the balls to drop God from the constitution...look at the uproar that the PDs caused when they tried to do it :)

I heard a funny story relating to how the PDs managed to pass a motion proposing a new godless constitution at their Ard Feis....the motion was proposed on a Sunday morning when all the craw thumpers were at Mass....brilliant.
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:58 am

You also forget that FG will be needed. Remember their ex leader lead the campaign to keep god in the now defunct EU constitution. No hope they would support this change.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
robreynolds2

Post by robreynolds2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 am

Hmmm......I am not sure, a secular state is not an atheist state. I think people would be more open to the idea of this now in light of the changes in Irish society.

Lets face it the Catholic Church has failed even bigger than the banks and people I am sure will not want to give the Bishops back the moral authority they once had. This together with the general plunge away from reality of the top brass of the Church has alienated a lot of the so called "faithful".

Ireland has become a lot more ethnically and religiously diverse, I think most people are happy about this and want to allow others to follow there own religious path without interference.

Lets remember to that the only political power wielded by the Irish people is by means of a referendum. A couple of decades ago nobody could foresee Articles 2 & 3 being removed from the Constitution but they were! By the people! No group of politicians could pull this off! (I could start on a rant about my unyielding belief in Direct Democracy but I will shut up now).

Personally I would like to see Ireland take a leaf out of Switzerland's book (in my opinion they are the greatest democracy/capitalist state in the world and without equal anywhere). There the people are the highest power in the land. NAMA would never had had a chance there.
Morality is herd instinct in the individual - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.cabinbee.com