Be Honest to Godless - Census Campaign launched

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Be Honest to Godless - Census Campaign launched

Post by MichaelNugent » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 am

Atheist Ireland has launched our campaign to ask nonreligious people to tick the no religion box in the Census, which takes place on 10 April.

The theme is: Be Honest to Godless in the Irish Census: If You're Not Religious, Say So.

You can read details here on the Atheist Ireland website.

Please also like our campaign Facebook page and spread the word, both in real life and on the Internet.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Be Honest to Godless - Census Campaign launched

Post by Beebub » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 am

It's good. I like it. It's short and to the point and in no way sarcastic or belittling of anyone's else's beliefs. Well done, I've shared it around.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:10 pm

I was reading about our campaign on Politics.ie, a good point here with regard to the campaing slogan:
The tagline, the bit that people will remember, and which is designed to get across the key message is '"Be Honest to Godless in the Irish Census on Sunday 10 April. Think before you tick. And if you’re not religious, please tick the no religion box."

There is a clear association between (1) ticking the box marked 'no religon', and (2) being 'Godless'. However, many of the people one would like to tick the relevent box have no (or who no longer have) religon yet do have 'God'.
http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/ ... ost3362599
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:17 pm

I think they are missing the point - if they do have a god then they aren't really a part of this campaign's target group.

The fact that they do not subscribe to a conventional "vanilla" religion does not make them non-religious. It just makes them non-mainstream; they ought to tick the "Other" box.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:35 am

This campaign is now updated on the main website based on feedback and discussions.

There is now an overview theme:

Be Honest about Religion in the Irish Census, which gives an overview of the campaign and why it is important to answer the religion question honestly.

And two two targeted sub-messages:

Be Honest to God in the Irish Census, aimed at people who grew up Roman Catholic and still believe in God, but are no longer truly Roman Catholics.

Be Honest to Godless in the Irish Census, aimed at people who are atheist or agnostic or humanist and who have no religion.

The campaign overview and each of the two targeted messages each have their own Facebook pages, so people can like whichever combination of the three they personally identify with.

Be Honest about Religion in the Irish Census on Facebook
Be Honest to God in the Irish Census on Facebook
Be Honest to Godless in the Irish Census on Facebook
Darwin

Post by Darwin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:44 pm

This is a great campaign and a big bugbearer of mine from the last census (since when was atheism a religion?). This is one of the most poorly intrepreted questions on the census as many people tick the religion they were entered into as babes in arms.

I will be doing my best to spread the word on FB but will there be a mainstream media campaign also? I will also print out a few posters for our school.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:46 pm

"Irish Census" is now a trending topic on Twitter. The vast majority of tweets are about this campaign.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Never mind. Trending topics now are Biffo, #cowen. Taoiseach, Leinster House, Fianna Fail and #ffheave.
Must be something going on! :?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:00 pm

I like it, the 'Be honest in the Census' image is perfect.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:44 pm

This article seems relevant

The general jist of the article is that some think it doesnt matter how many people tick "no religion" it will have zero affect on government policies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ist-policy