Be Honest to Godless - Census Campaign launched

Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Be Honest to Godless - Census Campaign launched

Post by Dev » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I have to comment on the link Dr. Raskolnikov posted. The author Damian makes some silly claims that even a claimed priest had to correct him on some of his assertions in the comments.
Atheist Ireland has started a bizarre campaign asking citizens to be honest on their religious beliefs when filling in the Census form in April.
??
For some reason, they believe that Catholics who wouldn't be the best for going to Mass are misleading in claiming to be Catholic.
This is incorrect. We are asking people who don't believe in God to not label themselves Catholic or Christian. Believing in God is a fundamental tenet of Christianity.
I know plenty of people who don't go to Mass every Sunday, but I wouldn't for a moment call them heathens.
I know plenty of people who do go to Mass every Sunday, but I wouldn't for a moment call them Christians.
Should they pander to the Atheist Ireland campaign of watering down the Catholic numbers, so as to make their organisation more relevant? I don't think so.
Catholic numbers are inflated. The idea of this campaign is to get a more accurate results and not to water them down. All that has been asked for is a moment of reflection rather than habitual box ticking.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:08 pm

I love the reply:
Apart from parts of Dublin, which is'nt Ireland by the way, Mass numbers are very healthy.
Shows you the level of intelligent debate we're dealing with. :roll:
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Just a quick note to point people at a census video I posted on YouTube earlier.

It would be nice to see some more videos being posted. It might help to start broadcasting a sampling of the reasons why people will be ticking the No religion box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjs3r8rW4cU
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 am

Article in today's IT
Think carefully before answering census question on religion
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 98294.html
by BRIAN WHITESIDE

RITE AND REASON: THE CENSUS looms and included in it we have Question 12, which deals with religion. “What is your religion?” it asks boldly, assuming everyone has one. It lists the options: Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland, Islam, Presbyterian, Orthodox; it then gives a space, two rows of boxes, for “Other, write in your religion.” Then, under these two rows of boxes, comes option 7: “No religion.”

One would have thought a more sensible way of framing the question might have been to start by asking: “Do you have a religion?” This could have been followed by a number of options for those marking the Yes box whereas those opting for No would go straight to the next question. But this suggestion, made by the Humanist Association of Ireland (HAI) following an invitation by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) for suggestions regarding possible improvements in the census, was rejected on the basis it would make historical comparisons difficult. This must certainly mean not many suggestions would be adopted.

Anyone who has spent time looking at the 1911 census on the web will tell you how fascinating and absorbing this can be. But quite apart from simple statistics and general interest, the census performs an important and valuable function: it provides information that is used to help plan for the future. As it says on the census website: “When you fill in your census form on Sunday, April 10th, you’re giving us the information we need now to understand what Ireland needs for the future.” What information is this and how will it be used? One piece of information must be that of religion. And how it might be used must surely be in providing appropriate schools for the future.

The vast majority of primary schools in this country are run by one or other church, mainly Roman Catholic. Archbishop Martin has said this should change to reflect the Ireland of today. In order to plan what sort of schools are most appropriate for the future, it would be useful to have an accurate picture regarding the population’s religion, or lack of it. And so we have question 12 on the census form. But will this work?

People who come from a religious background but no longer practise any religion and have no religious belief would most likely answer No to the question “Do you have a religion?” But when asked “What is your religion?”, followed by a series of options including the one the person was born into, that person may tick the box of the religion they were brought up in but no longer practise.

But if people are in doubt, won’t they be helped by their enumerator, the person hired to distribute and collect the forms and answer questions about the census? Well, they’ll be helped all right; but on the question of religion the enumerators have been instructed to guide people to fill in the form to reflect their background rather than their current position. How does this help us plan for Ireland’s future?

Now I know people’s religion is not the only determining factor when it comes to schools. Many religious parents send their children to Educate Together schools because they believe it’s better than separating children. Some non-religious parents send their children to religious schools for academic or other reasons. Many would argue that a good “all children together” education system should be a basic right. Having said this, it would seem that the more people who truthfully state on their census form that they have no religion, the stronger the argument for a shift towards a more secular approach to education. And it is likely that the way the question is framed will not deliver as accurate a result as it should.

I’ll use an analogy: imagine a survey on car ownership. The question “Do you have a car?” is not asked; the survey goes straight to “What type of car do you have?” And then, someone who has no car is encouraged to say they have a Morris Minor because, way back, it was the traditional family car. What use would this information be?

The HAI is running an awareness campaign with advertisements on Dart carriages to make this point. The message is simple: if you don’t practise any religion, then mark the “No Religion” box. It’s important.
and letter in the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/lette ... 95701.html
THE 2011 census is due on April 10 and the religion question is just as biased as ever. It is not even subtly biased. By asking "What is your religion?", it assumes that everyone must have a religion and there doesn't, at first sight, appear to be an opportunity to say that you don't.

Actually, the option does exist, but it is so well hidden beneath a column of five suggested religions and then two rows of boxes bearing the instruction “Write in your religion” that 70,000 people missed it in 2006.

The CSO statisticians know how to draft a poll and their disingenuity is offensive to those of no religion who are seeking equal treatment with those who profess religious belief.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:46 pm

I sent an email to the CSO regarding the "Jedi Campaign" that's ongoing at the moment. I asked about how such data will be interpreted and used. I got the following reply today.

"Dear ......

In 2006 responses to the religion question which contained the word 'Jedi'
were coded by CSO to 'Not stated' and appeared in this category in the
publication on religion. CSO will follow the same procedure for similar
responses in Census 2011.

People are free to write in what they wish in the religion question and
there is no penalty for any answer provided.

With regards

Census Field Management"
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 am

i missed this when i skimmed the article
but as wickinight on the boards points out Enumerators instruct religious background rather than current religion
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2056222915

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 98294.html
But if people are in doubt, won’t they be helped by their enumerator, the person hired to distribute and collect the forms and answer questions about the census? Well, they’ll be helped all right; but on the question of religion the enumerators have been instructed to guide people to fill in the form to reflect their background rather than their current position. How does this help us plan for Ireland’s future?
and there are comments with people having just that experience.

although many enumerators are replying to the thread saying that they weren't told to do this, although the type of enumerator that would find that thread would be the type to be more liberal on the issue.

although somebody points out
from census.ie Question 12 – What is your religion?
http://www.census.ie/The-Census-Form/Ea ... 109.1.aspx
...People should respond to this question according to how they feel now about their religious beliefs or lack thereof
test
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am

I received my census form from my enumerator about a week ago, and just as I closed the door, my boyfriend reminded me that we are actually not going to be here on the Census night (we will be in Germany.)

I've asked around, and most people have said that I don't have to do it as nobody will be home in my household.

However - I have no issue doing the Census at all, and in fact would like to contribute to this campaign by ticking the "no religion" box (and convincing my boyfriend to do the same).

But is it wrong to fill in the Census if I won't be in the country on April 10th? I've never been involved in a Census before in any country, so I have no idea what to do!
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:I received my census form from my enumerator about a week ago, and just as I closed the door, my boyfriend reminded me that we are actually not going to be here on the Census night (we will be in Germany.)

I've asked around, and most people have said that I don't have to do it as nobody will be home in my household.

However - I have no issue doing the Census at all, and in fact would like to contribute to this campaign by ticking the "no religion" box (and convincing my boyfriend to do the same).

But is it wrong to fill in the Census if I won't be in the country on April 10th? I've never been involved in a Census before in any country, so I have no idea what to do!
I was curious about this myself, so i phoned the help line (1890 201111). Phone them and inform them that you will not be in the country on April 10th. The will arrange to send you an 'E Form' which is different to the ordinary form. They will also arrange to have it collected prior to April 10th.