Geert Wilders' party to win big in Holland

Discuss Irish and International politics
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Geert Wilders' party to win big in Holland

Post by adamd164 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Wilders is a total bigot, as I've repeatedly said, but I really didn't expect this sort of a win for them.
Dutch anti-Muslim party in election win
Thursday, 4 June 2009 22:30

An exit poll for Dutch Public Service broadcaster NOS 1 indicates a big win for the anti-immigrant Party of Freedom, led by Geert Wilders, in the Dutch European Parliament elections.

Turnout is projected at 40%, marginally higher than the 39% in 2004.

According to the exit poll the ruling Christian Democrat party of Prime minster Jan Peter Balkenende will remain the biggest party, with 20.3% of the vote, giving it five of the 25 Dutch seats.

The Party of Freedom (PVV) comes in second, with 14.8%, giving them four seats, their first representation in the European Parliament.

The PVV first contested an election in 2006, when they won nine of the 150 seats in the lower house of the Dutch Parliament.

The party platform is strongly anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU.

Mr Wilders is under constant police protection after Muslim extremists threatened to kill him.

He was recently banned from Britain, and has released a controversial film called Fitna, which criticises the Koran, which Mr Wilders believes should be banned.

In 2005 he was the leading figure in the Dutch campaign against the EU constitutional Treaty.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Geert Wilders' party to win big in Holland

Post by Ygern » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm not completely surprised at this outcome.

I recently read Ayaan Hirsi Ali's Infidel where she describes in some detail the multicultural tolerance she experienced in the Netherlands; and how this has been exploited in recent years by fanatical hard-core groups to such an extent as to make a complete mockery of the liberal values of respect and tolerance that Dutch society has lived by for many years.

It's been a long time coming, but I suspect that many citizens of the Netherlands feel that their way of life is now under threat from religious bigots. I just hope that they won't try to fight one form of bigotry with another.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Ygern wrote:It's been a long time coming, but I suspect that many citizens of the Netherlands feel that their way of life is now under threat from religious bigots.
It would have happened much sooner if Pim Fortuyn hadnt been assassinated by a pyschotic left-winger.
Last edited by Hobbesian World View on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Deleted - off topic.
Last edited by Hobbesian World View on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:39 pm

I wonder if we'll see a similar outcome in Britain, where the BNP is poised to grab some seats for the first time.

To be realistic, it was inevitable that fringe parties would use the immigration issue, to get power, since the mainstream parties have ignored the issue for decades.

Austria started the ball rolling with Jorg Haider, then Denmark with the Progress Party. An emergence of a right wing party is inevitable in Britain and the longer the mainstream suppress it, the more disruptive it will be when it comes.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:51 pm

How is Wilders a bigot? If I understand the situation correctly his party opposes what he calls 'islamisation' of the Nederlands. He has compared the Koran to Mein Kampf. Fair enough. I haven't read either but know of the destruction caused by devotees of both.
Most contributors to this forum oppose 'catholicisation' of the Irish state and may yet have to oppose other, more violent religions.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:26 pm

he wants to forcefully deport all immigrants
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:42 pm

I have no problem with Wilders opposing "Islamification" in the Netherlands. But he tends to use scare-mongering tactics and deliberately divisive rhetoric in his speeches. He's free to do that, but as far as I'm concerned the ends do not justify the means. He is garnering support for himself and his party by appealing to the baser instincts of "us versus them"; instilling fear with deliberately inflammatory remarks.

Again, I might support his goal of a completely secular Europe, but I find his tactics at times disgusting and at other times quite damaging. My fear is that with a man like him at the helm there can be no peaceful solution.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:15 pm

I found this in my on-line dictionary under 'bigot': 'a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion'. Might fit many of my fellow contributors on this forum.
But I take the point. It is important not to put ourselves beyond debate with our religious opponents. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:21 am

BNP has won two European parliament seats representing Manchester and Yorkshire.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8088381.stm
Nick Griffin wrote:The Labour Party, the Lib Dems and the Tories, by leaving the door to Britain open, has forced people to turn to a party which speaks openly about the problem of immigration and says that while there might be a few good things about it there's also a lot of bad things."
A pretty reasonable chap really.
Mr Griffin said the BNP was not racist, but gained votes from other parties because it "spoke openly about the problem of immigration."
Pretty obvious really. When you try and silence people from having a reasoned debate about immigration, then youre forcing them to turn to the far right. Bound to happen here sooner or later.