Geert Wilders' party to win big in Holland

Discuss Irish and International politics
smiffy

Re: Geert Wilders' party to win big in Holland

Post by smiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Hobbesian World View wrote:Im not buying the feigned outrage. The irish are one of the most foul mouthed nations in the world, where f*ck and other obscenities are casually and frequently used by everyone from the taoiseach down. A search of this forum returns 17 posts using the word F*ck and NONE OF THEM ARE MINE!
There's a difference between swearing and abuse (particularly repetitious, tiresome abuse).
If smiffy is going to post like a conniving little weasel, then dont be surprised if someone calls him a conniving little weasel. If you dont like that, thats too bad.
I thought what I wrote was straightforward enough, and I can hardly be held responsible if you're selective in the points you choose to respond to. If one of the other posters would like to explain how my posts are like those of 'a conniving little weasel', I'm certainly happy to pay attention and will take their views on board. I'm not sure if there's much point in asking you for clarification, but if you'd like to expand on that, I'll give it a once over.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Hobbesian World View wrote:
nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Things are even more fun here in Germany. We have one party who has posters depicting a flock of white sheep kicking a black sheep out of the country and things like that. Lovely stuff.
Id be willing to bet €20 that this statement is false.
Whatever about Germany, that image was definitely used on a poster in Switzerland.
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 pm

smiffy wrote:
nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Things are even more fun here in Germany. We have one party who has posters depicting a flock of white sheep kicking a black sheep out of the country and things like that. Lovely stuff.
Whatever about Germany, that image was definitely used on a poster in Switzerland.
Exactly. And a good poster it was too. Im sorry the swiss didnt vote for that referendum proposal.

But at least they had a say. At least they gave their citizens a choice. In Ireland, the amount of democracy available to citizens is so miniscule, that we will never even get the chance to choose.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:43 pm

smiffy wrote:
Thats true too. It was also used there. I myself had not heard about it before seeing it here in Frankfurt and upon looking it up heard of it's use in Switzerland.
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Hobbesian World View wrote:But at least they had a say. At least they gave their citizens a choice. In Ireland, the amount of democracy available to citizens is so miniscule, that we will never even get the chance to choose.
How so? It's not difficult to run for office (being elected, of course, is quite another thing). If you're speaking specifically about immigration, the Immigration Control Platform run in elections, and don't do very well. In point of fact, they had a candidate in the Dublin Central by-election, who managed to achieve a grand total of 614 first preference votes.

The fact that people don't take a particular option doesn't mean that the choice itself is unavailable, and the fact that no party exists which conforms to your particular worldview isn't a flaw of democracy itself. It's part and parcel of of the democratic system. Of course, there's nothing to prevent you from running yourself, if you wish.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... acism.html

"It shows a black sheep being kicked out of a field emblazoned with the Swiss flag by one of three white sheep and has been directly copied by Germany's Neo-Nazi NPD party."

I am willing to bet the €20 that I do not receive the €20 from our foul mouthed troll member above however. Anyone want to take the bet? If he pays it up, its yours.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:01 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... acism.html

"It shows a black sheep being kicked out of a field emblazoned with the Swiss flag by one of three white sheep and has been directly copied by Germany's Neo-Nazi NPD party."
If you can provide any proof that the image has indeed been copied in Germany, you'll get your €20 sent to you by post.

So far all I can see is that it was an SVP campaign poster.
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... acism.html

If you can provide any proof that the image has indeed been copied in Germany, you'll get your €20 sent to you by post.

So far all I can see is that it was an SVP campaign poster.
Here you go: http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 76,00.html

You know, it did say in nozzferrahhtoo's article that it "has been directly copied by Germany's Neo-Nazi NPD party". All you needed to do was Google "npd Germany poster sheep" to come up with that article as the first result.

I guess you could argue that it wasn't exactly as nozz described, as it's a single white sheep kicking out a black sheep, but that would be rather churlish. More importantly, you might wish to consider whether your initial assertion that nozz's claim was untrue was a little too kneejerk.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Actually although this link above does prove my case, thanks for that smif, this is actually still a different poster to the one I personally saw. The one I saw was as I described, with a number of white sheep not just one. It was more as the link I posted described with the NDP "directly" copying it. It seems they have more than one such poster in circulation so. Nice.

Either way, case proven or not, I still do not expect to be a recipient of any €20 notes.

Not that I feel the need to prove my case to someone who is just trying to troll a rise out of me by questioning everything I say. The user had to wholesale invent outrage and assign it to me, an outrage I never expressed, in order to then say he did not buy my feigned outrage. If a user wholesale invents and then attacks a position you never espoused then you know they are just after a reaction. At most my post above expressed disappointment.

As I said before, the level of discourse displayed erodes any credibility a user might have, and any interest I have in hearing what they have to say.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_D ... of_Germany

On the pictures on the left you will see a:
political poster of the NPD depicting its critical view on non-Germans. (Inspired by a similar poster of the Swiss People's Party, the text saying "We're cleaning up")
Who thinks Im actually getting my €20?

I ask the user again, for his own sake if not ours, drop the school yard rhetoric and raise your game. Research and check before you comment. Two simple things that will prevent you from being so wrong... so often. This forum deserves better even if you do not wish to represent yourself better.