Discuss Irish and International politics
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Queen to visit Ireland

Post by Dev » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0304/queen.html

I'm not really for it.

There seems to be those who are in favour of the state visit by not seeing any legitimate grounds to object or think there is a positive benefit to be had either in terms of relations or finance.
Britain and Ireland are good friends now and I don't really see a state visit improving those relations. I don't think the financial one is a sound one. If we are going to have a foreign head of state over we shouldn't measure the success of it in Euros.

Then there are those against it who are just against anything English except English football and English tabloids. Their bias is obvious.

I'm not in favour because frankly I don't see Ireland gaining anything. I've read a few different perspectives both on Irish [RTE and IrishTimes] and British [Guardian and BBC] media and the one thing that struck me is how in the British pieces the fact that the Queen has visited over 100 countries but not Ireland - and how no ruling British monarch has been here in 100 years is mentioned but not in the Irish ones. This is because this information is important to the British but not the Irish. This is about Britain wanting to fufill national courtesies and formalities.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Queen to visit Ireland

Post by Mirthomaniac » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Dev wrote:http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0304/queen.html
I'm not really for it.
Hmm? I understand that this is just the Queen accepting an invitation to visit Ireland. I don't see a palpable reason to be for or against it.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:08 am

prince phillip is coming so we can expect some nice comments..
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:27 am

Mirthomaniac wrote:
Dev wrote:http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0304/queen.html
I'm not really for it.
Hmm? I understand that this is just the Queen accepting an invitation to visit Ireland. I don't see a palpable reason to be for or against it.
This adjective "palpable" is confusing me somewhat - can I assume you mean legitimate or valid? If not can you re-word it? I'm not sure I fully understand.

To not have any reasons for or against something to me at least suggests it has no consequences which I don't think would be the case with a state visit from an old imperial colonizer.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:45 am

Dev wrote:
This adjective "palpable" is confusing me somewhat - can I assume you mean legitimate or valid? If not can you re-word it? I'm not sure I fully understand.

To not have any reasons for or against something to me at least suggests it has no consequences which I don't think would be the case with a state visit from an old imperial colonizer.
I take palpable to mean 'perceivable'. It's often defined as something 'real' or 'able to be felt', but really the point is that I can't see any 'real' objection to be made.

You think that a visit from the queen would have consequences, and that's fine. I just don't think that these consequences are in any way palpable. It's not that they aren't valid or legitimate, it's just that they're really along the lines of 'the Queen represents something I don't like (imperial colonisation), ergo there will be negative consequences of her visit, ergo she should not visit.

It just doesn't sit with me, personally. Can you explain exactly what the consequences are and why you are against the visit and I will see if I agree? Otherwise I may just be misreading you, or I may not be fully aware of some crucial point.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 am

Well the first consequence would be the cost to the state for a few days estimated at €8 Million. This figure would be approximately the same for Obama.

To put that in perspective the Senate costs Ireland €30 Million a year and we're probably going to abolish it on the basis that it's too expensive for Ireland.

The second consequence would be riots or damage caused by hardline republicans. Such things are naturally unpredictable and it would be difficult to put any estimate on it. There could be none or they could be huge. The 2006 Love Ulster riots caused nothing but grief for the people of Dublin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Dublin_riots

Another consequence would be a boost to tourism. The English account for half our tourist revenue. The top dogs in the Irish tourism board say that it will give the industry a much needed spike but put no figures on it.

Lastly - the reason mentioned by the respective heads of state and those running the government say it will improve the already good Irish/British relations.

What I see happening is that the Queen comes over we pay some money for extra Gardai shifts. Some thugs kick up a small disturbance somewhere in Dublin and an extra few tourists come over because Ireland looked so pretty on the TV when the Queen was here. I don't see Irish/British relations improving much.

For me there needs to be more of an incentive. Compare this with Obama who may also come in the Summer. He'll cost the same money but he's a skilled orator and worth going to see speak. Not only that no one is opposed at all to Obama here and the Americans are far more enamored with the Irish than the British and more money I suspect will trickle into the Irish economy as a result. I don't see Irish/American relations improving much either.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 am

I don't think Ireland has anything to gain by a state visit.

When the dutch queen goes on state visits it normaly results in more business with the country visited. We look upon our royalty as a pr machine.

Since Ireland and Britian are business partners anyway I think it is a waste of money to spend 8 million unless Ireland think they get deals worth more than that.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am

She's the head of a religion - a state religion at that.
Hope she doesn't try to convert us - again.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:47 am

Feardorcha wrote:She's the head of a religion - a state religion at that.
Hope she doesn't try to convert us - again.
Neh, she would send a dutch monarch to do that.

*hiding for the reactions on that one*
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 am

they wont be worth going to see now that Freddy Mercury is dead :D
والقس هو مجنون