Queen to visit Ireland

Discuss Irish and International politics
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Queen to visit Ireland

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:14 am

I don't have much of an opinion as to whether she comes here as long as they keep her nice and safe.

As one of her royal subjects, I've always been a staunch republican. However, I'd hate to see Prince Woo promoted to King Woo!

Think what you like about the political situation, but I'd imagine that King Woo would have considerably more resources at his disposal to promote his anti-science agenda than Prince Woo. :shock:
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm glad I'm the type who thinks that it's high time we moved on from our bloody past. Figuratively and literally.

How many protested at the Norwegian Royal visit a few years back? How many republicans from the Viking city of Dublin bothered to boo King Harald V and his missus?

I don't see any problem with the Queen of England having a State visit. We need to stop behaving like a truculent teenager and start acting like a mature nation. It's high time we built this bridge and got ourselves over it.

And to head off criticism by the type that lostexpectations seems to represent, I'll have it known that I am more than familiar with the things that fire this republican indignation.
I have sat across from the military base in Crossmaglen and watched patrols come and go, helicopters land and take off.
I have been questioned by British paratroopers who appeared out of the dark as I camped in the woods of South Armagh.
I have lived in Belfast and tasted the enmity, and I have spoken with the relatives of those killed in Omagh.
My grandad fought in the war of independence and escaped from Mountjoy after brutal interrogation.

None of that should have any bearing on the situation today, where people have tired of being led by those who want to keep us embittered and antagonistic towards our neighbours.

I'm sick of Sun reading, Liverpool supporting, Eastenders watching Irish republicans telling me that I should be ashamed of myself for thinking that diplomacy is preferable to agitation.

The actual visit of the QoE will be a matter of supreme indifference to me, but it's diplomatic importance cannot be ignored.
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:25 pm

DaithiDublin wrote:I'm glad I'm the type who thinks that it's high time we moved on from our bloody past. Figuratively and literally.

How many protested at the Norwegian Royal visit a few years back? How many republicans from the Viking city of Dublin bothered to boo King Harald V and his missus?

I don't see any problem with the Queen of England having a State visit. We need to stop behaving like a truculent teenager and start acting like a mature nation. It's high time we built this bridge and got ourselves over it.

And to head off criticism by the type that lostexpectations seems to represent, I'll have it known that I am more than familiar with the things that fire this republican indignation.
I have sat across from the military base in Crossmaglen and watched patrols come and go, helicopters land and take off.
I have been questioned by British paratroopers who appeared out of the dark as I camped in the woods of South Armagh.
I have lived in Belfast and tasted the enmity, and I have spoken with the relatives of those killed in Omagh.
My grandad fought in the war of independence and escaped from Mountjoy after brutal interrogation.

None of that should have any bearing on the situation today, where people have tired of being led by those who want to keep us embittered and antagonistic towards our neighbours.

I'm sick of Sun reading, Liverpool supporting, Eastenders watching Irish republicans telling me that I should be ashamed of myself for thinking that diplomacy is preferable to agitation.

The actual visit of the QoE will be a matter of supreme indifference to me, but it's diplomatic importance cannot be ignored.
+1
Although after the car bomb the other day killing the young PSNI officer, I’m no longer indifferent. I welcome it. It’s high time we moved on and show these scum bags that they don’t represent the vast majority of the people either side of the border.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:51 pm

your reactions are against the terrorists, can you not also have a mature and independent reaction to the queen and the many legitimate reasons to oppose her visit.

its seems not again you feign indifference, cos you not mature enough to consider a position on the monarchy.
test
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:19 am

lostexpectation wrote: the Queen who's the illegitimate head of the country,
:shock:
eh?
والقس هو مجنون
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 pm

lostexpectation wrote:your reactions are against the terrorists, can you not also have a mature and independent reaction to the queen and the many legitimate reasons to oppose her visit.

its seems not again you feign indifference, cos you not mature enough to consider a position on the monarchy.
I've lost any expectation that you won't resort to ad hominem attacks to support your untenable position.

See what I did there? :D
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Dr Raskolnikov:

lostexpectation is too busy to answer you right now, as he is currently protesting the visit to Ireland of Albert Grimaldi, the illegitimate ruler of Monaco.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 pm

funkyderek wrote:Dr Raskolnikov:

lostexpectation is too busy to answer you right now, as he is currently protesting the visit to Ireland of Albert Grimaldi, the illegitimate ruler of Monaco.
:lol:

You've said it all funkyderek!
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm

You are both in denial – you are feigning indifference. Lost has spoken, Lost knows.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 pm

mkaobrih wrote:You are both in denial – you are feigning indifference. Lost has spoken, Lost knows.
Yes, you're right. I'm pretending to be indifferent.

But only because I don't care.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image