VECs want greater admin role in state schools

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: VECs want greater admin role in state schools

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:34 pm

Well best of luck.
On the communion front, as all the other little girls were getting new outfits (which I think is what its all about), our little darling went to town with her mother got a total new outfit - some much desired designer label and much better than a baby-bride outfit.
We then arranged a party with an Age of Reaon theme and all the religious kids came and put their hand-prints on a banner with Age of Reason on it. Then we brought her to see her atheist auntie and my atheist friend who gave her money. A great day was had by all.
We were the only dissenters in the school - the Buddhist, the Trotskyist and the free-thinker all bowed down before the altar of convention.
Different strokes for different folks.
Best regards
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:52 pm

Well best of luck.
Thanks. I think that's what's so nice about this forum. It's informative, it's helpful, it's funny. There's a growing sense of community. But also there's a fair amount of respect. As you're probably only too well aware, these decisions are not made lightly and there's a lot of internal conflict involved. We each of us have to find our own way and a way in which suits us best and is the best thing that we think at the time for our kids.

There's no one way that's the best given the options being provided and everyone's decision should at least be given respect. That's largely what I've found here; respect. Apart from the odd loon :wink:.

As for the communion, I happened to be there the day it was being held, delivering a letter and the school holds a party at the school for all the kids, which is a nice idea. Our kid can attend the ceremony if he wishes/ we wish and just not receive communion. This is why we're adopting a wait and see approach and see how he deals with it at the time, rather than forcing him to step out from now. I wouldn't be all that against him being taught religion hence it's easier for me to reach that decsion.

The separate party is a great idea. But I'm assuming if all the kids came, it was held on a separate day to their communion? What did she do that day?
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:04 pm

That was the day she went to visit the auntie up in Dublin, dressed in all her finery, so she was away from the main event on the day.
By the way, you might consider standing for the Board of Management as a parents' representative - now that would be an education.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:04 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Hi Tulip,
Our experience in the local primary school was very positive but I am not looking forward to the battles with the VEC.
One thing I think that is worth doing is to write to the Dept of Education and tell them you are an atheist and ask them for the name of the nearest appropriate school. They will, of course, give you the name of the local school but this will arm you in the event of any 'patron' or other interfering cleric bothering your child.
Again from my experience it was very useful for us parents and our children to declare that we are atheists. We found that the children of many fellow-travellers, a-la-carte Catholics and woolly thinkers ended up confused over things like Holy Communions and the thousand tricks the Catholic Church has to subvert your views - like slipping their doctrine into ethics, sex education and just about everywhere. Good luck.
Dev: Was that meant to be funny or just demeaning? It is very revealing.

Thanks for that advice, I will tell everyone for sure that we are atheists in no uncertain terms. And I will write the Dept of Education.

I love your age of reason party!! What a brilliant idea.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Gender rules force woman to quit VEC
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 86828.html
doh!
test
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Well eldest Daughter just finished first day of school today – Educate Together – 15 in class all Irish nationals. And she didn’t come home blessing her self or talking about prayers. So I’m quite pleased – I do realize that I will have to be more active in school support than if she went to the much more convenient Catholic School but I’m prepared to make that commitment (by the way the catholic girls school is a 2 minute walk but the EDS is a 40 min walk).

I’d hate that my girls would get the same secondary treatment that Feardorcha Girl had to endure.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Great. Glad to hear it went well. Is religion taught in an EDS?
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Latest report from my local VEC school spy.
During Maths, the loudspeaker crackles and Seymour Skinner, the Principal (not his real name) comes on and introduces 'the school chaplain' who, of course is a Catholic priest. The Rev then gives a smarmy introduction and a 'little prayer' to help the first years with their studies.
It is quite plain that the VEC is a Catholic agency and that any pretence that this state has to non-sectarianism is bunk.
I think we in AI should formulate a policy on getting the church's tentacles out of the classrooms, and to this end I volunteer to coordinate such a group.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Latest report from my local VEC school spy.
During Maths, the loudspeaker crackles and Seymour Skinner, the Principal (not his real name) comes on and introduces 'the school chaplain' who, of course is a Catholic priest. The Rev then gives a smarmy introduction and a 'little prayer' to help the first years with their studies.
It is quite plain that the VEC is a Catholic agency and that any pretence that this state has to non-sectarianism is bunk.
I think we in AI should formulate a policy on getting the church's tentacles out of the classrooms, and to this end I volunteer to coordinate such a group.
I would be well up for it and would contribute as much time as I can miss. I just went back to collage so will know more about how much time I can spare later. This is very important to me.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks for that Tulip. Pending approval from the Politburo of AI for this venture, we could collect the policies of the political parties and other organisations.
With this in mind, I have found the old Campaign to Separate Church and State policy but have so far failed to find anything relevant in the educational policies of the Labour Party or Sinn Fein, and there's no point in checking FF or FG.
Can you, when you have a minute, do some searching or make inquiries from any organisations or parties? There are teachers' unions, Educate Together, political parties, the Dept of Ed, the VEC, primary school principals organisations and likewise for secondary schools.
We could also see what the churches say - might prove interesting.
And we should also get as much informations as we can on the actual practice in schools, as opposed to the stated policies of these bodies.
At the moment I am just searching on the web but with approval from AI, I/we could email these organisations and ask them for a comment.
I'll get back to you in a couple of days and see what we have dug up.