Mary Coughlan comes up with the worst of all solutions

Issues relating to promoting a secular state education and raising children in a non-religious home
lostexpectation

Mary Coughlan comes up with the worst of all solutions

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 am

Proposal for new schools to share grounds
Church silent to insurers on abuse suspects - The Irish Times - Tue, Jan 04, 2011
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 01674.html
Critically, the reports says prospective school patrons must confirm their willingness to be part of a campus development with other primary or post-primary schools as identified by the department.

Education campuses comprised of schools operating under different patrons
is she going to have one group of kids go to one class in these schools and then another groups of kids of a different religion go to another class?

could be another of this FF/GP/PD government classic worst possible of all solutions?

if she really wants efficiencies why have two principals and boards of managements, why not one secular state school. (along with the many catholic schools elsewhere that are likely to remain for a while)
test
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Mary Coughlan comes up with the worst of all solutions

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Or the 'campus' will be controlled by the Catholic Church with the 'others' having to pay the bishop for facilities.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Proposal for new schools to share grounds
At present , schools can be established with a minimum number of just 17 pupils. The new report says schools should have capacity for up to three streams, or about 75 pupils.
The use of vacant spaces in existing school buildings – where there may not be a demographic need for a new school – should be examined
So let me get this straight, a group of parents setup a school because they do not want to use the local state-funded Roman catholic school (which might have a vacant prefab, outhouse, doghouse), but now they have to setup their independent school inside the walls of the Roman's religions school.
Then I suppose they will have their own uniform, even be useful if they wear an red armband and an "A" on their left shoulder, just to be able to distinguish the non-roman-catholics.

I suppose a roman priest/bishop will march by daily, every now and again even drop in to see if everyone is being treated "fairly" in our so called state-funded school.

This country is a joke, and a disgrace, you couldn't make this stuff up.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Will the property that was supposed to be handed over to the state to pay the tiny proportion of the compensation for crimes against children be waived if it is now nominally handed over as a 'campus' - though still in the control of guilty parties.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for putting this Newspaper report up as I had not seen it and it is significant.

The Report on the procedures for established new primary schools says it is no longer practical for every student to be provided with access to a school operated by a patron of their choice.

It is no longer practical! As things stand and as far as I am aware most non-religious parents would seek to send their children to Educate Together schools as religious instruction is outside the school day. However non-religious parents were never guaranteed a right of access to an Educate Together school. If you are lucky and there is one in your area and you put your child’s name down when the child was born then you may get a place. Other than that you have no choice where you send your child to school. It is a religious education or no education at all. A religious education in this country means a catholic education.

The only people that have access to a school operated by a patron of their choice are Catholics. Therefore the report is telling Catholics that they will no longer be provided with access to a Catholic education. The majority of Catholics believe that it is their Constitutional Right to have access to a Catholic education.

Having different schools on the one campus is not a new idea. I have heard this one before but I thought it disappeared because of the New Vec Primary Schools. These schools were meant to cater for parents seeking denominational, non-denominational and multi-denominational education under the one patron body so why would they need different patron bodies operating schools on the one campus if they could cater for everyone in one school.

The Catholic Church have today launches their first National Directory for Catechesis in Ireland called ‘share the good news’. They state:-

"The National Directory is directed to and must involve the entire Church in Ireland. It is not a document entrusted to the catechetical establishment. It is a time bomb thrown into the catechetical establishment and indeed into the religious education establishment. It is an invitation to break away from our current situation which is overly school-oriented and bring back into the picture in a more focussed way the central role of the parish and the family. It is a reminder that catechesis does not end with the Leaving Certificate".

Does it seem that the Dept of Education and the Catholic Church are singing from the same hymn sheet. Are they both recognising that a Catholic education is no longer guaranteed in Ireland. Share the good news indeed.